taxing car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
son has 2 cars in his name, number 2 car is in for repair and when back on the road I will drive it under my insurance TPFT

his insurance has expired on no 2 car and he doesnt want to renew, the tax expires end of april so when i go to renew tax will i have to insure it seperatley under my name or can i show them im fully comp and can drive car :?: cheers P M

Sponsored Links
son has 2 cars in his name, number 2 car is in for repair and when back on the road I will drive it under my insurance TPFT

his insurance has expired on no 2 car and he doesnt want to renew, the tax expires end of april so when i go to renew tax will i have to insure it seperatley under my name or can i show them im fully comp and can drive car :?: cheers P M

When you are actually driving the car, then your TPFT would cover you I imagine. However, the moment you leave the car, for example, parked on the street, that car is no longer insured and your son would be breaking the law for having an uninsured car on the road. (I think!).

You may get away with driving it under your insurance until the current tax expires but insurance is vehicle specific these days & without the registration mark on the insurance certificate, you will not be able to renew the tax for it.

Sponsored Links
You may get away with driving it under your insurance until the current tax expires but insurance is vehicle specific these days & without the registration mark on the insurance certificate, you will not be able to renew the tax for it.

No, but yea, but yea.

Get caught on the road by the Police under these circumstances, driving or parked, and they'll seize the vehicle. Easy to get caught too as it'll get pinged on ANPR as an uninsured vehicle.

You may get away with it, but not legally.

Every car has to be insured in its own right.

Otherwise their is nothing to stop you buying and insuring an old banger, then driving around in an uninsured Ferrari using the TPFT option.

Thanks for you replies, so i can insure the car in my name even though i dont own it

Yes, that is fine, just let the insurers know its your sons car.

Insurance companies will use any "non disclosures" as a reason not to pay out.

Thanks for you replies, so i can insure the car in my name even though i dont own it

Sorry, I have to disagree with trazor on this one. If your son does not have an insurance policy for his car and you want to take out a new insurance policy for his car I think you will find you have to become the "registered keeper" which obviously involves transferring ownership from him to you. Check with your insurance company but I am 99.99% certain this is the case.

Sorry, I have to disagree with trazor on this one. If your son does not have an insurance policy for his car and you want to take out a new insurance policy for his car I think you will find you have to become the "registered keeper" which obviously involves transferring ownership from him to you. Check with your insurance company but I am 99.99% certain this is the case.

The owner of a car is not necessarily the registered keeper.
When purchasing a car ensure you buy it from its legal owner.

You can insure any car you do not own, as per a hire car, provided you have the owners permission to drive it.

You don't 'have to' disagree with trasor. You 'can' but you'd be wrong to in this instance.

Sponsored Links
Back