Telford Stainless steel cylinder leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a situation where my fuse box has tripped and drove me to look into why…..

I’ve discovered this drip of water which must be linked to the electric trip

Has anyone experienced this? The boiler has low pressure so that’s been turned off but how do I stop this drip?

I would really appreciate any input - do I turn off water supply to the hot heat pump?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2254.jpeg
    IMG_2254.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2257.jpeg
    IMG_2257.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
1. No drip is visible in the photograph.
2. If there are drops of water visible in the tun dish (black plastic open sided item in your first picture) then the the hot water cylinder needs servicing. The drip can come from the combination valve (grey cap below red cap in picture 1) or from the Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve (TPRV, not visible). If drip cold, likely to be combination valve, if hot / warm, likely to be TPRV.
3. Those cylinders are meant to be serviced annually to check that all safety devices are operating correctly. They can be dangerous if faulty.
4. Servicing may only be carried out by someone with a current "G3" accreditation. This is not the same as a Gas Safe accreditation, although Gas Safe, along with a few other organisations, can accredit people.
5. May or may not be anything to do with the circuit breaker actuating in the consumer unit.

Thank you so much for promot reply
I will look into getting this serviced

I’ve left the fuse down for this for now

Can I stop the drip? (By turning off the attached blue taps to the pipe work?)
I’m concerned the drip will cause an overflow

Happy to discuss on phone briefly and to see if you know anyone local too

Thank you again my family is panicking as I’m not there right now

Attachments

• 21dbc69d-430c-4817-80d4-dd82c0770467.jpeg
    21dbc69d-430c-4817-80d4-dd82c0770467.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 16
Sponsored Links
Yes blue will shut off cold feed to HW cylinder and the drip into the black tundish will, eventually, stop. (Release pressure by opening a hot tap and it'll stop quicker.)
You should remove that rag... and allow the drips to fall down that pipe.
The pipe should likely go straight outside the house where you may see the end dripping, or into a drain.
Under some fault conditions that pipe may carry a good fast stream of (very hot) water.

NB That MCB trip is labelled "instant hot tap" and will be feeding a Quooker or similar instant hot water heating device. It's 20A which is almost 5kW capable.
It will have tripped because of a fault with that device, most likely, whatever it is.

The MCB to its left is labelled "Immersion" which will power the HW cylinder immersion via another switch near to the cylinder and is 16A, the usual rating for a 3kW immersion heater supply.

The drip in the tundish is unrelated to the MCB trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back