Telling the difference between osb 2 and 3......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys.

I bought a load of osb3 yesterday, but I'm not 100% if they've given me 2 or 3!

I've got some 2 from wickes laying around, and the printing on it looks the same..??

how can I tell??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If it was your intention to fulfill a specification then chancing on low-end stuff like OSB is a wee bit risky.

Still better than chipboard though.

Sponsored Links
Most fitters round here use osb myself included for replacement flat roofs but after reading through a few posts I'm not sure whether there are better products to use
I have seen 12 & 18mm shuttering ply used too.
Thanks in advance.

There are a number of differences between OSB 2 and 3.

One difference you could test for is swell thickness, OSB 2 will swell more when exposed to wetting, of the top of my head I think it is 20% vs 10-15%.

Practically speaking this isnt a great test (we are talking factions of mm's), other properties that can be tested for more reliably can really only be done in lab conditions.

OSB is normally stamped with its class, I find it odd you have sheets with no markings?

Most fitters round here use osb myself included for replacement flat roofs but after reading through a few posts I'm not sure whether there are better products to use
I have seen 12 & 18mm shuttering ply used too.

Proper class3 bond (wbp) plywood is significantly more moisture resistant than OSB, avoid cheap crap plywood though.

I was hoping there would be a way of breaking down the code printed on the boards to tell

Cheers

I was hoping there would be a way of breaking down the code printed on the boards to tell

Cheers

List the codes, might make reference to bonding standards.

Generally speaking though if they mark it properly, they will mark it as OSB 2 or 3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back