Temporarily extending a boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have an old combi boiler which has a flue terminating into the extension at the back of the house. Please don't be horrified (yet!).

The original house hasn't yet merged into the rear extension and there is a 3.5 metre opening in the extension (where bifold will be cited) which means that there is plenty of scope for the gases to escape out of the extension and into the rear garden.

I will be replacing the current combi boiler with an unvented system and system boiler which is being located in a different part of the house. This is probably 1-2 months away.

Challenge - I now need to knock through into the extension, get the house plastered so that we are ready to install and commission the new heating system. I can't do this as the current flue will emit gases into the house once I knock through.

I don't want to spend a tonne of money as this boiler is being dumped for a new system which is going elsewhere. My logical mind is wondering whether I can somehow extend the current flue and direct it out of the 3.5 metre opening I have in the extension?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why not get the new boiler fitted sooner instead? Any money spent on a boiler you're chucking away is wasted.

@Dan, your damned if you do and damned if you don't! That waffle was suppose to provide some context.
I will come back to you on the make of the boiler.

The challenge with having the new boiler now is that, the house hasn't been plastered (requires knocking through) and hence the new radiators haven't been connected and hung on walls. Please note that I have installed completely new flow and return pipes in anticipation of the new system.

Sponsored Links
So fit the boiler and run pipes to rad positions but cap off pipes then connect when rads are on wall.

Last edited:
I still don't see why you can't replace the boiler now. Can't you put valves in to temporarily isolate the new side of the system from the existing side? If you put the cylinder in now, you could run it off the immersion heater for a while

Thanks again @Dan. Very helpful yet again! Perhaps you want to invest your time and energy elsewhere. Please don't feel compelled to respond. I'm sure there are other knowledgeable members on here besides you.

You'd think that the installer would have come up with the solution.
because i think he's doing it himself maybe ??? op you've been given ADVICE don't get PIS-SY, he's given sound advice which you already know.

Not getting pis-Sy, just thought I would save him the energy. The two previous responses were much more helpful and constructive.
I am aware that I cant work on gas but that doesn't mean that I can't understand the options available to me

i not taking pi-s but sound like it could get really dangerous ,people have given good advice op

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back