Boiler flue

only takes about 50 ppm (parts per million) of CO to put you to sleep, and then you might just wake up dead...
take the advice and turn it off

Sponsored Links
Fookin builders! Ham-fisted trowel and club hammer wealders!
OP: unless your on a windup mission (& actually live on Jupiter!), take a look at any MIs that come with a boiler and study the sections pertaining to flue terminations and see if ANY of them are anywhere NEAR being satisfied with your current site conditions!
You won't even know that you're about to succumb!!!!

Sponsored Links
ah :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: he asked the same question with the title " temporarily extending boiler flue " i thought i read this before , i can't do the link . looks like he didn't get the message last time , why do people ask questions and don't listen to advice for which could be such a dangerous situation . OP do yourself a favour and listen to people who do this for a living and wasting peoples time , stop considering a dangerous situation

Guys, Just beacuse I am questioning something isn't because I dont want to accept the advice, it's because I want to understand the advice! Yes I appreciate all advice given and it's not as simple as take the advice I'm given as with respect, not everypne on this DIY forum "does this for a living".

I ahve now switched off the currrent boiler and expect my new system to be commisisoned in the next couple of days. A few cold showers before then.
Thanks for the input

If the boiler draws in air that has already been through the combustion system (vitiated, we call it), the C02 in it (say, 10%) will be burnt again turning it to C0. In the time it has taken to read this the process will have occurred a few times over and the C0 reading will be getting very very high indeed.

It will continue to rise until the boiler snuffs out due to lack of oxygen, or you are all found dead in the house. Or both.

Best turn it off.

Guys, Just beacuse I am questioning something isn't because I dont want to accept the advice, it's because I want to understand the advice! Yes I appreciate all advice given and it's not as simple as take the advice I'm given as with respect, not everypne on this DIY forum "does this for a living".

I ahve now switched off the currrent boiler and expect my new system to be commisisoned in the next couple of days. A few cold showers before then.
Thanks for the input

Ok mate, nothing wrong with wanting to understand; however, it's the fact that you are asking this forum for advice/information when 'surely' you have employed the services of an RGI, for your project, and it is he/she you should be consulting with such questions, as they are "on board" with you and (hopefully) "do this for a living"!
So, the question remains, why are you asking here when you could just pick up the phone to your RGI??

A second opinion.
Again, I think you are kidding yourself if you think every plumber will arrive at the same opinion every time.

My exitung boiler is now decomissoned and the new system will be operational tomorrow :)

Thanks for everyones help.

Again, I think you are kidding yourself if you think every plumber will arrive at the same opinion every time.
well that is a stupid statement when you are attempting such a bad situation so i think your kidding yourself . 5 or 6 gas people telling you the same out of each thread , so what does that say about yourself:LOL:

yes, I've accepted the advice I've got and if it wasn't for asking i wouldn't have known how bad this was.
My point on a uniform opinion wasn't just relating to this. It was the principle of seeking a second opinion.

well you got 5 or 6 opinions just on this thread , just glad you have taken the advice thats all I'm saying .

I don't quite understand your comment above!
It's not the remit of a plumber, rather a GSI, and it's also not a matter of one's individual opinion... It's the RULES as laid out by many governing bodies - the main one being the MIs that come with every gas appliance!
Adhering to them is not a choice!!

As well as having our own "end user" work, we also do heating and plumbing work for a lot of local building firms, who undertake extensions... Almost always, the first job we do for these builders (at each new site) is to relocate the boiler (either temporarily or permanently, depending on final install position) so that the homeowner can continue to use it, throughout the works. As in your case, they are often at the rear of the property which means they cannot be used when a rear extension is being added, as the regulations regarding flue termination, are no longer satisfied, making the installation "illegal" and downright dangerous - which is why we are there to ensure alterations are made for continued compliance!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back