Temporary seal for heating pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a simple way to seal a small leak on a heating pipe?I have always wondered why I kept getting air gurgling around my heating system and have since noticed that there is a tiny leak around the nut that joins the radiator to the pipework,seems it just needs some PTFE tape added to it,but I am unable to get that done this winter so would just like to plug the hole and then blead the air out.System is a sealed heating system with combi boiler.Maybe some kind of spray?

Sponsored Links
Externally, nothing is likely to work. The water is under pressure. It wouldn't take many minutes to fix properly. If you find out what to do... ;)

Have you tried doing the nut up?

Looking at it again it appears to be just after the nut,so tightening nut would make no difference.Yes youre right not possible to plug temporarily as its unde pressure.Might be best to just leave until I can work on it.

How easy is it to do then?Do I have to drain the entire heating system down,take rad off and clean pipe and then ptfe it,reinstall rad and then fill and dose system,then onto the bleeding.Could freeze it as well but would cost a fortune for such a small domestic job.

Sponsored Links
Can of freeze spray and a jacket, about a tenner from B&Q. They work a treat for one off jobs, freeze it then cut some isolators in and then work at your leisure.

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back