Temporary Shower..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We've just moved into a new house and the shower in the downstairs bathroom is the oldest, most uncooperative electric shower in the world. Apart from shower, the bathroom is newly tiled and in good condition but we don't like the decor and will replace it eventually (after bedrooms, hall, lounge, etc), probably in about 12 months. We have another, good electric shower upstairs. The old shower sits above bath (on the bath end) with rear and one side tiled down to bath and the other side having a glass shower screen.

My plan is to replace the old shower with a mixer shower (I prefer combination of mixer and electric as if electric is off then at least you have one shower working, even if hot water doesn't last forever). The existing heating system in the new house will allow me to install a mixer.

The old shower is fed with short run of microbore (from the loftspace above bathroom). Since I need to also run a hot water supply to the shower I plan to replace existing feed with 15mm.. only because I am already geared up with 15mm pipe, Isolating valves, connectors, etc from previous plumbing work and so there is no additional cost for me using 15mm.

QUESTION 1: I do not think there is an issue in doing above but thought I would check on here first.

Secondly, I have removed the tiles above the old shower to expose pipework and electric cable. I removed three columns of times so now have an area approx. 600w x 1200h of untiled wall. After removing the existing microbore and feeding the new 15mm pipes to service the new shower I will be left with deciding how to finish off. We hate the existing tiles and I won’t be able to get replacements for those I have removed anyway. So I need a fairly cheap option but will stay watertight for around a year. As far as I can see I have a few options…

1. Retile using same size tiles but different colour. This is made more difficult because they had tiled on top of tiles, so would have to build up to achieve same depth.
2. Use some kind of Shower Panel as a temporary measure. Since we will be redecorating anyway I thought this may be the obvious solution. Mount the board onto the existing tilework and mount the shower onto the board. The panel will cover the area down to the bath.

Neither option will look great but option 2 will probably be a little bit nicer on the eye. Also I came across Tile Panel (3mm). So I guess as well as Shower Panel I could use this as long as I am able to securely mount the shower in such a way that the Panel is not taking the weight?

QUESTION 2: Is there another option I haven’t considered?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back