Terminating Cat5e STP with RJ45 module, a question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I was looking at buying some cat5e rj45 modules and realised some said unshielded modules specifically. Am I right in saying that I would have to buy "shielded modules" for my stp and unshielded for utp cable? or can i use unshielded for both types of cable

Sponsored Links
For the shielding to be most effective on STP then you will need to have the shielded modules as you will need there to be a continuous connection on the shield. The unshielded modules will have no where to connect the shielding and no way of passing it on to the patch cable.

Fot the shielding to have any effect you must have a fully shielded system. This is why to gain 25 year warranties a cabling system is usually made up of matched parts-all from the same manufacturer. Why did you decide on a shielded system? It's much more expensive, harder to install and has little advanatges unless the environment is VERY noisy. I've certainly had no problems using unshielded in factories with heavy equipment. Presumably the cables are already pulled through?

DRGL, the reason I opted for this method was due to concerns several people had with the possibility of my cat5e running parrallel to power cable, hence possibility of interference.

Secondly, yes the cable is already in place.

Regarding too expensive of an install, well the cable ive already installed and the only other specific equipment i would need are the modules themselves, am i correct?

Another thing id like to make you aware of is that the upper half of the building is using Cat5e Ftp so has the shielding as there are lots of places where parallel power cables are runniing. The lower floor is all dryline and one which has been set out with power cables in different locations to the cat5e likewise cat5e utp has been used here.

Could i just get all shielded modules and use them for both the ftp and utp?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Part of the wiring standards is data cables should not be wired parallel to power cables so i'm not sure shielded cable would any difference. Where you have FTP you will need to use FTP modules, patch leads & patch panel. Where you have UTP you will need to use UTP modules, patch leads & patch panel! What speeds are you planning to use this installation for? I hope it's not gigabit! Also, is the structured cabling going to be used for a telephone system too? If it is and you have issues with the power cables you may end up with a nasty hum on the line. I can't really comment on what you will ecounter as i have never run data right next to power, tbh you'll probably find you will be OK but the standards have not been adhered to! Good luck ;)

drgl the power cables were put in place a long time ago. At the time my intention was to go with wireless due to ease of setting up hwoever i realised with wireless there is always an issue with data transfer.

This wired network was decided later by myself and since there are limited areas where the cable could pass through only, I had the only option of running parallel to power cable in places although I have tried my best to give approx 100mm distance between them.

Apart from adhering to standard, I was wondering whether UTP cable would still work with FTP modules, patch panels etc?

100mm should be fine, UTP will work fine with STP(as the cable will have no drain wire so all you have is metal clad modules) but as STP modules are more expensive you may as well get UTP.

well to be honest the module are not really what im bothered about, where you mentioned STP/FTP patch panels I was hoping I dont need to get two.

Bare in mind this is a quick DIY Jobby of a network. Ill tell you this much though, ive learnt a lot over the last two weeks in relation to setting up a network which is only a good thing ;)

Panels in essence are the same as modules(some panels use the same modules slotted in!).

o i was referrin to modules as the points where the ethernet access is going to be, and the panel where all the cables are terminated into in the data cabinet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back