Shielded RJ45 Modules, where to buy from cheap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, been looking all day on net but cant find many places doing RJ45 Shielded modules

I can bloomen buy 5 dual faceplates + 10 RJ45 unshielded modules for £12

On the other hand i see single shielded RJ45 modules for around £6

Likewise does anyone know where i can get them from cheap.

Sponsored Links
I doubt that the small bit that is not screened will make that much difference specialy if you mount it using a metal back box

the screen is required to terminate the screening on the cable breezer. Without it the screen on the patch cable will not be very effective.

Sponsored Links
You need the screen to be end to end that is from switch to computer. As the wire needs to be grounded on the equipment. The patch cable has a metal covering on it that makes contact with the socket to make an unbroken shield all the way from the Ethernet port on the computer to the ethernet port on the network switch.

GD, I was talking to a few guys from different networking companies. The ysaid you only earth one end.

Btw is screening another term for earthing?

Screening is the foil or braid in the cable that surrounds all of the wires. The screen is connected to earth at one end, usually at the switch end as there is an earth available in the coms room.

screening

try this

look at the sun, bright isnt it?

now put on a pair of sunglasses and look at the sun

there you go you (your eyes) are now screened from the sun, not an earth in sight.

Screen is connected to earth, but as i just showed it is not earthing it is as the name implies, it screens something from something else.

$6,000,000 question about connecting both ends of a screen

most will say you must, how ever it has been found that by doing this it can be worse because the thing you are screening can travel down the screen, round the earth, and back again (its a loop) but it can't if you only connect one end.

So what do i do breezer as you two have lost me now lol
The best thing you can do is ignore everything breezer has written, because, yet again, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

lol damn guys you lot are digging at each other arent you

So how do i screen at one end and which end should i do it to

My first question would be why are you using shielded twisted pair in the first place?

My first question would be why are you using shielded twisted pair in the first place?

Poor advice that's why, & as for some of the posts above, well, i don't know what nework companies you have been talking to but it doesn't sound like they have ever fitted an FTP system OR know what they are talking about! FTP needs FTP everything, preferably from the same manufacturer. The patch cabinet shoud be earthed and all modules and patch leads should be FTP, if not you will have a worse system than a standard UTP system. "Cheap" and network should not be used in the same sentance. You can buy modules for £4.99 each from a decent manufacturer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back