Shielded RJ45 Modules, where to buy from cheap

Drgl, they also have mentioned that it is best practice to keep everything the same as you have said however since I am really out of pocket and cannot afford FTP patch panels and what not I was told that the cable I have in place will be pointless if the shielding is not put to use hence the reason i have been told to get shielded modules. They havent given me this advice based on their recommendation, more a solution to the problem i have with funds.

I was hoping to at least make the shielded cable do its specific job with what I have at the moment and in a month or two time when i have a little extra money i can swap over the patch panel for a more specific shielded panel and also replace everything else that needs replacing.

Regarding why I have used FTP cable. Well I had a friend come visit me and was getting ready to put some cable in, he asked whether the cable is running parallel to the power cable i had in place. His concern was interference and recommended finding another route for the cat5e or alternatively get some shielded cable. I opted for the shielded as I had no other way of wiring the cable through especially at such late stage in the project.

Hope that is clear and hope some of you guys can help me out into what you guys recommend considering I cant really afford a lot of the specific equipment.

Btw how much can I get a shielded 24 way patch panel for?

Sponsored Links
another question drgl, do you think a cat6 shielded patch panel work well or must it be cat5e

Personally if you aren't going the whole hog (everything shielded) I would just connect all the shields to earth at the patch panel and leave it at that. It isn't ideal but it's probablly better than unshielded cable and doing STP properly is both expensive and almost certainly not nessacery for your application.

The last bit about not being entirely necessary for my application is what a friend of mine said i.e. stating that I dont need to go everything FTP immediately.

However a question is how do I earth the shield once the end is terminated with RJ45 ends or shall we say 8p8c ends. Do I need to get specific ends or do i just split the sheath and make a connection between the foil and the cabonet?

Sponsored Links
I'd just split the sheath out and wire it seperately to earth.

I strongly suspect that you don't really need shielded at all. In loads of commercial installations I see a load of cat5 in a compartment of dado trunking with mains in the next compartment down. The trunking helps protect against accidental shorts between mains and data if insulation gets damaged but it won't do anything to stop interference.

Mine is behind dry lined walls so isnt put in trunking however this is the main problem for me as some of the cable runs are approx 1-2 inch apart from each other i.e. cat5e and mains cable

OK, to earth it at the panel end will be hard as there will be no earth points for the drain wire, however with a bit of thought this can be done. To keep everything within standards the amount of untwist in the pairs at either end must be kept minimal. Re: panels, no point fitting a CAT6 panel as the cable is CAT5 as i understand? Also, a CAT6 panel will cost MORE anyway, looking a CAT5e shielded panel can be had for £100 for a decent one. However if you muts must use unsheilded then get a panel with METAL earthed rear cable management, with care you will be able to terminate the wires whilst still keeping them short, you can position the drain wire so it is pushed against the cable tie point & hopefully earthed. Not ideal but it may help. Re: the other end, you should not terminate the cables to plugs (8p8c RJ45) but RJ45 modules, however if you DID terminate to plugs then if you got shielded plugs this would overcome the need for shielded modules! Question is though have you left enough slack at the floor outlet end for these cables to plug straight into equipment?

Hi DRGL, thanks for the reply, regarding the plugs i must have written it wrong as i most likely would have been referring to modules.

Regarding slack, is it even required at the module end since once the faceplate is screwed in, it wont make a difference. Furthermore I would be using patch cables from the module to the devices

No slack required if using modules, infact keep it as short as possible(just long enough to enable termination) and don't bend the cable tightly when installing the faceplate.

DRGL i have finally been able to source some ftp modules. Well a i know someone who has them but it mentions RJ45 FTP Keystone Jack and they look different the the other modules I have seen.

Are these keystone jacks the same thing but without the cover or something

i mean i was wanting these type of modules
http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/images/RJ45module.jpg

but the ones i can get hold of look like this
http://img.nokaut.pl/p/d8/c0/d8c0e2c6914a8a143b40fb55f0d74fcc500x500.jpg

would these fit the normal uk faceplates and if so how as they are smaller

thanks

Keystone jacks plug straight into an unpopulated patch panel OR you need a keystone adaptor (Euro or 6C) to eanable you to plug them into a 6C or Euro faceplate. Adaptors are about £1.50ea.

O so basically i just need the adaptor to which the keystone jack would fix to and the adaptor would then fit a standard uk faceplate making it seem like a normal rj45 module?

Furthermore are all these rj45 keystone jacks generic in size i.e. would they fit any adaptor for the same purpose or do they come in different shapes and sizes

btw do you have a link of these adaptors your referring to as i cant find what i thought you were on about

I don't have a link i'm afraid, trade only. Not sure if they are all one size but whoever sells the ones your are looking at should have the adaptor, what make are they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back