Terminating sockets with a plug instead of an FCU

Well I thought the link would help you understand that connecting something via a 13A plug does not make something an appliance.
Indeed. For various reasons, my entire (extensive) central heating control system derives its power via a 13A plug (rather than the more expected FCU), but I wouldn't say that makes the downstream parts of the wiring 'an appliance'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
While my colloquial understanding of the word appliance agrees with you:
1. plugging something in via a 13A plug means that item isn't considered part of the electrical system
2. in law it is considered an appliance (ie. something plugged into the electrical system)
Are you perhaps familiar with "Approved Document P", which is the official guidance in relation to Part P of the Building Regulations (aka 'the law' relating to electrical installations)? ...
Approved Document P said:
2.8 Installing fixed electrical equipment is within the scope of Part P, even if the final connection is by a standard 13A plug and socket ....

Kind Regards, John

Are you perhaps familiar with "Approved Document P", which is the official guidance in relation to Part P of the Building Regulations (aka 'the law' relating to electrical installations)? ...
He is doing a complete rewire, and takes umbrage at any suggestion that he doesn't know enough, so how could he not be familiar with it?

His posts in this topic are pure mischief making.

His posts in this topic are pure mischief making.

I've got personal experience of how a court interprets sockets connected via a 13A plug. In my house I have sockets and ceiling/wall lighting connected via 13A plugs with flex cable buried in plaster, and in a professional negligence claim against the surveyor who carried out the inspections on this property, the defense (surveyor) was able to deliver two experts who took the view I've communicated to the OP.

In that respect I believe my input is more helpful to the OP than your perpetual discouragements.

I've also asked you not to post in my thread as I don't find you helpful in the slightest.

Sponsored Links
I've got personal experience of how a court interprets sockets connected via a 13A plug.
Per what I've just written, it sounds as if that court should probably have been directed to the Secretary of States' guidance on interpretation of the law in Approved Document P.

Kind Regards, John

I've got personal experience of how a court interprets sockets connected via a 13A plug.
Per what I've just written, it sounds as if that court should probably have been directed to the Secretary of States' guidance on interpretation of the law in Approved Document P.

Kind Regards, John

It's not beyond the realms of imagination that the experts were selected for their opinion or encouraged to have that opinion, but at the very least there is some precedent set.

It's not beyond the realms of imagination that the experts were selected for their opinion or encouraged to have that opinion, but at the very least there is some precedent set.
I can't disagree with that but, in view of the official guidance (which seems to have been ignored by the court, in favour of the opinions of possibly biased 'experts'), I imagine that it's a precedent which would probably rapidly be overturned by a higher court.

Kind Regards, John

In my house I have sockets and ceiling/wall lighting connected via 13A plugs with flex cable buried in plaster, and in a professional negligence claim against the surveyor who carried out the inspections on this property, the defense (surveyor) was able to deliver two experts who took the view I've communicated to the OP.
That was a civil case, and therefore of no relevance to what the criminal law says about fixed electrical installations.

In that respect I believe my input is more helpful to the OP than your perpetual discouragements.
Where you see discouragements we see the importance of genuine competence, the importance of grasping the idea that making it up as you go along is unacceptable, and the importance of accurate information on what the law requires.

I've also asked you not to post in my thread as I don't find you helpful in the slightest.
1) This is not your thread.
2) I would not be obliged to take any notice of your request if it were.

But there is an absolutely guaranteed way to stop me replying to what you post, if you want,

In my house I have sockets and ceiling/wall lighting connected via 13A plugs with flex cable buried in plaster, and in a professional negligence claim against the surveyor who carried out the inspections on this property, the defense (surveyor) was able to deliver two experts who took the view I've communicated to the OP.
Were you not competently legally represented in that case? It would seem very odd if the (incorrect) view of two 'experts' was allowed to go unchallenged. What did your expert witnesses have to say?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back