Terminating stranded cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best crimp connection to use for terminating stranded cable into the back of a switch ?

I've looked at spade, pin and fork terminals but I'm not sure which is most suitable.

Sponsored Links
why use a crimp at all?

Just strip it, bend it back on itself so its doubled up and screw down

You can use bootlace ferrules for said purpose but you need a special crimp tool and, whilst it's tidier, it's not strictly necessary

The cable is a power cable from an electric fire, I cut the plug off and want to wire it into an FCU. The strands are extremely fine and break easily, I don't want to bend them back and have them snap, I don't have much cable to play with as it is.

Thanks for the reply.

why use a crimp at all?

Just strip it, bend it back on itself so its doubled up and screw down

You can use bootlace ferrules for said purpose but you need a special crimp tool and, whilst it's tidier, it's not strictly necessary

I googled those ferrules, they look right. Cheers.

You say a special crimp tool, is that something other than standard ratchet crimpers ?

Sponsored Links
I prefer using ferrules for stranded wire, it's just bodgery screwing down onto strands.

And some with no colour coding at all.

M072043P01WL.jpg

Those aren't non colour coded ferrules, they're un-insulated ferrules.

The colour coded ones are no more insulated than the un-coded ones.

The insulation of the wire insulates as far as the metal of the ferrule.

The plastic part acts as a funnel to assist getting all strands into the metal part and also moves the bending point away from the exposed strands and onto the wire's insulation. This reduces any bending stress on the strands where they enter the ferrule.

The problem with those is that the quality of the crimp depends entirely on the skill and experience of the operator. Poorly made crimp joints can look OK, and even withstand a pull test, but overheat over time, causing a fire risk. That's why ratchet crimpers came into use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back