Terminating SWA in a buried backbox?

Sponsored Links
What if the conduit lengths were crimped, soldered or welded together? :D

What if the conduit lengths were crimped, soldered or welded together? :D

Good idea - but I think that it would have to be welding. Solder might cause corrosion and is not a particular good method for joining steel. Crimping is probably not practicable on the conduits currently available.

Now if you weld you will damage the protective coating so you would need to dress the weld with a grinder and re-coat.

This might be a little difficult on a loop-in box positioned in the bottom of a floor pot to supply a light on the floor below - but I am sure you will solve the problems - eventually - you can get some nice miniature grinders these days :D.

Some installations in the USA do have welded raceways (conduit) but they are probably a bit larger than 20 mm :D.

Still BAS has ruled that it is OK so that's alright then.

I would be happy (ecstatic in fact) to be quoting against you on a installation with conduits cast in the floor screed - I think I might just have the edge if I use traditional methods of installation :D:D:D.

Sponsored Links
Just been called out to a customer (My outside lights don't work) Got a reading circa 90v ac across live and neutral, and 130v across live and earth. started tracing cable and swa from house goes under patio (Slate Crazy paving) customer says patio just been laid and junctio box 12ins down. layer of patio says didnt touch cable. After digging up junction box found plastic box like tupperware about 4ins square with chocblock connectors and two loose wires. Cost him a bit more than a pint at the local.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back