Terminating unused electric cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a new house and surprised to see a number of switches and even a socket (with round holes) that don't appear to be used for anything. Even the previous owners have no idea what they are for. So, I plan to remove the switches and the socket, connect up the cables to terminal blocks and then fit blanking plates. Is this acceptable?

In the lounge I found a live cable sticking out of the wall that had simply been taped up and not very well as the live core was sticking out. Very dangerous. When we viewed the house this was hidden behind a picture!

I've removed the cable from the channel running down from the ceiling - this is different to the old plaster, so obviously an addition to the house, which was built in 1935. I can see the cable disappears into the bedroom above. Unfortunately it is NOT accessible as a false wall has been built around a fire place directly above this point and so this would have to be removed. It is also the other side of the joist, so can't get at it through the floor boards above.

I understand it isn't safe to leave live cables in walls, but without a LOT of work and cost, I'm struggling to know what to do. I was thinking of cutting the cable as close to the ceiling as possible, fitting some connectors and taping it up. Then fit a protective metal plate over it and then plaster. Hopefully, there is very little chance of anyone drilling this high up the wall and if they did, the plate would provide some protection. Alternatively, I guess I could fit a back box and a blanking plate, but it would stand out like a sore thumb in the middle of the wall!

I would appreciate your advice.

Sponsored Links
but it would stand out like a sore thumb in the middle of the wall!
Better than the sight of a victim of electric shock laying inert on the floor after discovering the hidden cable with a nail or screw or drill.

Live cables must not be hidden in walls other than in "safe zones" which are the areas of the wall that extend vertically and horizontally from a switch or socket.

Thanks for the feedback Bernard, even if it isn't very helpful. I appreciate safety is the highest priority. Any comments on the use of terminal blocks and blanking plates?

I guess the round pin sockets have smallish holes? If so, they may be feeds for light fittings, usually they are controlled by a light switch(es) somewhere.
It is OK to use terminal blocks and blanking plates and leave the wires in the wall, provided the blanking plates do not get plastered over. They act as a sign that "there be cables"..

Your rogue cable needs to be inside safe zones - see the WIKI, but there is a zone within 150mm of the ceiling, so the cable could be left there. However, all connectors must be accessible if they are the screw type.
You need to get a "Maintenance free" terminal block, and safely terminate the cables there. One of these may be suitable, it could be left in the ceiling void and plastered over. There are smaller ones, it depends on the size and CCC of the cable you need to terminate.

BTW it is NEVER acceptable to "fit some connectors and tape them up".

Sponsored Links
Hi Taylor, thanks for the useful info.

The socket with the round holes is similar to one of these. I have no idea what this socket is used for or why anyone would want to fit one. I've never come across one like this before, even more strange as it is about 3/4 the way up the wall, slightly higher than a light switch would be fitted.

Interesting about the 150mm ceiling zone and the maintenance free terminal blocks, but as you say these are large things. The cable is 1mm twin and earth and is connected to the downstairs lighting circuit. I was thinking about trying to dig through the ceiling plaster to allow me to push the terminated cable into the space above the ceiling, but this isn't easy on a 1935 house due to the use of lath and plaster!

I haven't checked the ampage of the socket as I intend to blank it out. I can't see any use for it. What kind of fittings would require one of these sockets in the UK?

What kind of fittings would require one of these sockets in the UK?
They were the standard socket outlets for general-purpose use before the 13A plug & socket arrangement. Although the latter was introduced in the late 1940's, the round-pin sockets were still in very widespread use through the 1960's. The smaller sizes (2 & 5A) continued to be used into more recent times specifically for lighting, typically where somebody wanted plug-in table/floor lamps around a room but controlled from a wall switch.

The fact that your socket is on 1.0 sq. mm twin & earth (or it might be the pre-metric 1/.044 equivalent) on a lighting circuit hints at that arrangement, and it's most likely a 2 or 5A socket.

screenshot_782.jpg

:D:mrgreen::LOL::ROFLMAO:

BAS, I went to Specsavers once. Actually more than once. I had to go back several times to complain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back