Test Equipment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to pick up test equipment from ebay for the house rewire I'm doing and trying to sort out what is the minimum I need. Insulation/continuity is an obvious requirement. Will I need one with a 250v test voltage option for testing the 12v halogen lighting installation (i.e. is this a SELV/PELV installation requiring a test?)
Is there a reason to get an RCD tester as the consumer unit is new therefore the RCD should be OK?
Do a need a loop/PSC tester as well as the continuity tester or can I do it using continuity and calculations? If so is the LT5 a suitable one?
I'm still getting my head round all the testing side so answers to the above will help me through this process.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
One could say that if you're still getting your head around testing, should yo be attempting a rewire?

250v insulation tester no good. you need at least 500v (ive got 1000v) it also has built in "tester for resistance" can't think of the right word

wouldn't suggest site you mentioned unless it has claibration cert.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I know 500V is used for normal testing, I wasn't sure whether the 12v halogen lighting circuits counted as SELV or PELV and needed testing at 250V thereby requiring a multi range instrument.
What about the loop/PSC tester requirement? :D

if you get a 500v insuation tester it covers everything you need the thing is, you are going to all this expense for a one off job, is it really worth it?

Well, it might be that there's another one after this! ;)
Anyone got any comments on the TLC Insulation/continuity?

ouch :confused: but you do get what you pay for, but in your case i would get an electricain in to test it for you must cost less, and what if you don't get 2nd job, still it's your money

Do you really need all this. It sounds more like what I have for the industrial end of things. (except my insulation tester is 5000V ;) )

It might be worth it - the results wouldn't be usable for a testing certificate, but even if uncalibrated, a quality instrument that doesn't look as though it's been abused should still be accurate, and if it enables you to find a problem that avoids 1 day of Mr Sparky's time then you're probably quids in.

It should also give you the confidence to "debate" with Mr Sparky any "problems" that he "discovers" when doing his tests. Not that any of the people here would do that, of course, but I'm sure there are some electricians out there who might give in to the temptation to expand their inspect and test into inspect, test and rectify.

Re eBay - unless you are in a desperate hurry for the equipment, spend a few weeks watching prices - there is a constant flow of items there, and prices do vary - once you know what is a reasonable price to expect to pay, you can start bidding, and stick to your guns knowing that if you miss one another one will be along soon.

Expect to pay the most for Robin. Look out for Metrohm, they usually go for a lot less, as do lesser known makes - I picked up a stunning bargain for a set of Beha testers.

All-in-ones and matched sets will cost you more than picking individual instruments as and when they come up.

If you want to post your email address here I can send you the records I kept when I was looking - covers 60-70 testers and/or sets for most of December '03 into early Jan, so their details are still accessible on eBay.

Thanks, this was the way I was thinking. Would be very interested in your test equipment findings, thanks. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back