Test to be a parent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some parents don't have the skills or knowledge to get their kid onto the right career path, Iv'e seen a few kid's with a lot of talent thrown on the scrap heap because their parents have neither the nouse or imagination to give them the right guidence,perhaps its the parents need a course and an exam to pass

Sponsored Links
MY kids have friend's simple ,how much of an expert do you have to be to see that a life without an prospect's isn't going to be a lot of laugh,s

Some parents don't have the skills or knowledge to get their kid onto the right career path, Iv'e seen a few kid's with a lot of talent thrown on the scrap heap because their parents have neither the nouse or imagination to give them the right guidence,perhaps its the parents need a course and an exam to pass

I wish my parents had guided me, i would be a ballet dancer :cool:

Sponsored Links
No, i don't need names, is it your opinion that they are on the S/H ?.

Are you from a rough area (or what you see is a rough area.)

Are your neighbours okay? How are your kids different?

OK, all the kid's are from good homes,with responsible self employed parents doing well. This is a very rural area and quite inward looking. If kid's don't do well academically they are happy to let them settle for jobs that are below their potential despite them being talented in other areas. They don't seem to pursue other avenues, because they have a limited knowledge of the range of career opportunities available.

Hmmm,, I'm not sure that it's just for parents to decide what their kids should do for a living. I'd agree they should have some input, perhaps in conjunction with teachers at the kids school and most importantly the child themselves. ;) ;)

PS Perhaps the fact that they live in a rural area, severely limits the jobs available to them, without travelling to the bright lights of the nearest town. ;) ;) ;) ;)

"Hi I'm sam and i have pushy parents who are constantly trying to steer me towards a career that i do not want, so i WILL rebel....blah, blah, blah....."
If ever a paragraph was guilty of blatant ambiguity and generalisation then this one is.

This is just an observation of people that I know,of parents who are dissmissive of altermative skill's,such as art sport music and drama.

It's not , the parents responsibility to "Push" their children in any direction. Perhaps they may choose to gently steer them. Once your children become young adults, you can't tell them to do anything. You can however , "ask them" ;) ;)

My parents never pushed me during any of my education or when choosing a career path in which I wanted to be employed.
They were both hard working and honest people, that was enough for me.
But I also see ex-school colleagues that never had any aspiration to learn at school or aspired to work on leaving, whether this be through lack of parental encouragement or just sheer laziness, I would not know. But needless to say some of these ex-school colleagues have gone on to live in 4 bedroom detached houses and have two cars parked on the drive. Some have never worked a day in their lives!

Too true. I am a retired teacher and have seen this at first hand. The sad fact is that there are many children who, if their parents took the slightest interest in them, would have a very good chance of gaining valuable qualifications and jobs.

Of course, it's all the teachers' fault, isn't it?!

Of course, it's all the teachers' fault, isn't it?!

C'mon.
Teachers made a rod for their own back by taking the liberal stance of abolition of discipline. They voted for it. They sold themselves out.
We all have to live with the scum consequences.

Don't get me wrong parents are to blame .....but teachers aren't blameless.

Sponsored Links
Back