Test to be a parent

Of course, it's all the teachers' fault, isn't it?!

C'mon.
Teachers made a rod for their own back by taking the liberal stance of abolition of discipline. They voted for it. They sold themselves out.
We all have to live with the scum consequences.

Don't get me wrong parents are to blame .....but teachers aren't blameless.

I didn't. I thought it was the liberal do-gooders who brought that about, or perhaps the no-win-no-fee lawyers. I am all in favour of strict discipline (within reason), but that attitude brought me complaints from parents to the extent that I began to wonder whether I should bother.

It's strange, though. It is very often the parent who provides no encouragement for their children who complain when you tell the child off or keep them in detention for misbehaviour. The 'my little darling can do no wrong - it must have been the other child' syndrome.

Therein lies the real problem. Society, or at least certain elements of it.

There have been encouraging noises from the government about the restoration of discipline in schools. Unfortunately, that's all they are - noises. Teachers and headteachers still have very little power, and the yob-parents and their offspring know it.

Sponsored Links
Aye, it used to be that teachers were 'in loco parentis' which means they could discipline like parents could. I'd frigging hate to be a teacher nowadays with all these little thugs turning up in the morning and not be able to do anything about it. The parents now back their thug child, they should be backing the teacher who tried to do something about the little brats. And almost always the child is a thug because that's what they learned off their parents, probably the only thing.

It is interesting that I got much more respect from grandparents than parents. I think that says something.

Of course, it's all the teachers' fault, isn't it?!

C'mon.
Teachers made a rod for their own back by taking the liberal stance of abolition of discipline. They voted for it. They sold themselves out.
We all have to live with the scum consequences.

Don't get me wrong parents are to blame .....but teachers aren't blameless.

I didn't. I thought it was the liberal do-gooders who brought that about, or perhaps the no-win-no-fee lawyers. I am all in favour of strict discipline (within reason), but that attitude brought me complaints from parents to the extent that I began to wonder whether I should bother.

It's strange, though. It is very often the parent who provides no encouragement for their children who complain when you tell the child off or keep them in detention for misbehaviour. The 'my little darling can do no wrong - it must have been the other child' syndrome.

Therein lies the real problem. Society, or at least certain elements of it.

There have been encouraging noises from the government about the restoration of discipline in schools. Unfortunately, that's all they are - noises. Teachers and headteachers still have very little power, and the yob-parents and their offspring know it.

I think the point I was trying to make though, (albeit badly) was.....

The scum kids now are just learning from their scum parents. It makes complete sense to me why that happened.
The scum parents, are of a generation (or two) (three in some cases), that became that way as a direct result of said abolition.

Cut teachers pay, or interfere with their hours and they are the first to 'down tools' and take to the streets with placards. Why didn't they do that with the debate on discipline.

Now their job is a hundred times harder, and the rest of us suffer.

Sponsored Links
It is interesting that I got much more respect from grandparents than parents. I think that says something.

Yeh somewhere along the way ,some families have lost roll models,a few years back there were adds in the Evening Standard for surrogate grandparents to work with families that had lost the plot

Yeh somewhere along the way ,some families have lost roll models,a few years back there were adds in the Evening Standard for surrogate grandparents to work with families that had lost the plot

Yes, I think the rot began to set in sometime during the 1960s. Flower power, free love and that sort of thing. Round about the same time someone had the bright idea of 'child-centred learning' which meant, basically, let the little sods do what the hell they want on the grounds that they can 'express themselves freely'.

I just thank God that my school education finished in 1968.

Good idea about surrogate grandparents. The important thing is to have them in place when the child is very young. Better still, just after birth. It's amazing just how soon in their lives children begin to learn irresponsible behaviour.

(Edit: That was 's o d s', not 's h i t s'.)

Some parents don't have the skills or knowledge to get their kid onto the right career path, Iv'e seen a few kid's with a lot of talent thrown on the scrap heap because their parents have neither the nouse or imagination to give them the right guidence,perhaps its the parents need a course and an exam to pass

the trouble here is we are all different we all have different skills levels and abilities we are not all off the same social skills

yes some will not bother
some will not be able to as you say choose the correct action
not sure why you think an exam would sort anything
indeed who has the right to judge when and where and who can do the job

we need to remember what comes easily to you may be completely daunting to me or others

It's not a matter of parents either having or not having academic skills. No, it's much simpler than that. It's simply persuading them to take an interest in their child's progress and offering encouragement. You can do that if you can't even read or write.

I have found that Chinese and Indians (and there are probably others) take much more interest in their children's education simply because they recognise the value of a good education and qualifications.

Sadly, there are many of our indigenous population who can't see that. In some cases that's because all they aspire to is getting a free handout from the state to finance their visits to the pub and packets of fags, and it's much easier to plonk their kids down in front of the TV than talk to them.

How you will ever change that outlook, I don't know.

What do you think would happen if every child in the country reached a high standard of education i.e. university degree etc?

How many would put their hand up for the menial, filthy, laborious and dangerous jobs?

Some parents don't have the skills or knowledge to get their kid onto the right career path, Iv'e seen a few kid's with a lot of talent thrown on the scrap heap because their parents have neither the nouse or imagination to give them the right guidence,perhaps its the parents need a course and an exam to pass

the trouble here is we are all different we all have different skills levels and abilities we are not all off the same social skills

yes some will not bother
some will not be able to as you say choose the correct action
not sure why you think an exam would sort anything
indeed who has the right to judge when and where and who can do the

Fair play Big all

I was very motivated by a couple of local kid's that have slipped through the net. They started out on a very academic route and ended up dropping out of college becuase they couldn't cut it. They found themselves in the labour market going for jobs at the bottom of the pile - young ;no skills and no experience; what else are they going to do? These kids have other talents - one of the kids is in a band and has just got a record deal ,another is a brilliant sculptor,but, because the parents don't value those talents and dont see them as a route to a valid career they have not been encouraged to persue these skills. I am now going out to help my kids build a snowman

we need to remember what comes easily to you may be completely daunting to me or others

modern society doesn't help where families have to chase work leaving the extended family behind with the guidance and help from older generations and others around you

electronic gadgets and fame for doing nothing useful like the jungle big brother only way is essex give us poor roll models and expectations off fame by doing nothing
people used to aspire to being nurses and other useful careers now its to be famous for doing nothing useful even though a fraction off 1000th off one percent will make any money that way

modern society doesn't help where families have to chase work leaving the extended family behind with the guidance and help from older generations and others around you

electronic gadgets and fame for doing nothing useful like the jungle big brother only way is essex give us poor roll models and expectations off fame by doing nothing
people used to aspire to being nurses and other useful careers now its to be famous for doing nothing useful even though a fraction off 1000th off one percent will make any money that way

I think youv'e nailed that one Bigall the trouble is the other 999.999% will have to be supported by the rest of us when they have wasted thier time aspiring to be celebs and become non functioning grown ups

What do you think would happen if every child in the country reached a high standard of education i.e. university degree etc?

How many would put their hand up for the menial, filthy, laborious and dangerous jobs?

I don't think that will ever happen. Even Tony Bliar's harebrained scheme for 50% of all school leavers to go to university couldn't be realised. There will always be those who are more suited to the sorts of work you describe.

My philosophy is that every child should have the opportunity to succeed, and for that to happen their parents must give them all the support they need. If, then, they do not make the grade they will at least have been given the chance.

Let's not forget that many people who have never been to university are very content with their chosen careers and many of them have become very rich. I often wish that I had had the foresight to train to be a plumber or electrician instead of going to university and becoming a teacher!

Anyway, we can expect all of the 'menial, filthy, laborious and dangerous jobs' to be grabbed by the Romanians and Bulgarians who are presently on their way here!

That's what migrants were invented for.

My philosophy is that every child should have the opportunity to succeed, and for that to happen their parents must give them all the support they need. If, then, they do not make the grade they will at least have been given the chance.QUOTE, JBR

Thats got to be worth a go in anybodys book, Hell even Maggie Thatcher warned that should be done .

Sponsored Links
Back