Testing for earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any way of testing a domestic 3 core cable to check which is earth assuming it has been wired wrong, can you meter it ?.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Earth pin on the plug should be zero ohms ( less than 0.1 ohm ) to exposed metal parts of the equipment.

Live and neutral pins should be at least 1,000,000 ohms to exposed metal parts and preferably no connection at all.

Is this a specific problem with one piece of equipment.

bernardgreen said:
Earth pin on the plug should be zero ohms ( less than 0.1 ohm ) to exposed metal parts of the equipment.

Live and neutral pins should be at least 1,000,000 ohms to exposed metal parts and preferably no connection at all.

Is this a specific problem with one piece of equipment.

I recently connected a new light outside and managed to get it working but noticed when I touched it I got a small shock, I assumed therefore that it was wired incorrectly, so wired again ensuring that it was correct and now it doesn't work at all, but if I wire it back as was it will work but expect to still get a shock. Any ideas ??

Sponsored Links
Not without a look at the lamp and how you wired it.

Can you photograph it ?

And do not forget that work connected wit outside lights may be notifiable under Part P building inspection regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back