testing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing an outside socket which will spurring off a ring main, this is protected with a standard rcd at the Dis Board, but the ring main also runs around a workshop with individual rcd sockets at every work bench (x10) the question is how do i do a installation resistance test? do i have to take every rcd socket off and link through or do i put a limatation on the minor work test sheet?

Sponsored Links
You have to remove each socket front and link out.

Why are there 2 RCDs in series? That is not good circuit design.

Could you supply your new socket from an alternative compliant circuit?

yes it is a silly way of doinf things dont know why the customer has done this, so i will have to take every rcd plate off and link through bummer?

RF What you on tonight?

"Why are there 2 RCDs in series? That is not good circuit design. "

OSG Fig 3a ??????????????????????????????

Must admit Mark did not detail what the set up was

Sponsored Links
some testers claim not to trip RCDs, haven't tried therm though

You may have more to worry about that tripping the RCD if you subject it to a 500v IR test!

You're talking about earth fault loop impedance testing, unlike IR testing being talked about here.

It isn't considered good practice to have two RCDs of the same rating protecting the same circuit as they won't discriminate, however in some situations it is unavoidable. Basically if the RCD protecting the whole circuit is a 30mA then the person has wasted a fair bit of cash installing a load of SRCBOs in his workshop.

But in a workshop it would be bad practise for machines to restart after power failure.

NON - latching sockets in the workshop, would not be a waste of money but sensible.
As they will not reset till after the main one

LATCHING main one would be wise and if that tripped someone resetting it would not endanger the people in the workshop who by now would be poking around with the blade or something.

Active RCDs seem a bit of an expensive way of doing it, assuming of course that the ones which were installed are active.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back