testing?

There is nothing stopping you from filling in either a minor works or a installation certificate and you can either down load from IET web site or copy from 17th Edition.

However you will need some instruments and the serial number needs entering on the forms and it should have a traceable calibration record.

When "Borrowing" from work this is a problem as if anything went wrong you can't get access to calibration record.

In the main the likely hood of something going wrong is slim and in most cases one can borrow the test equipment without a problem. However you must make a judgement and if it is likely you may be questioned over it may be safer to hire the test equipment so there will be no problem with calibration.

Having said that while working as Electrical Engineer I sent a PAT tester to be calibrated. I also bought some software to enter all the results with and found I needed the pass level from the calibration cert. On looking I found this had not been entered so asked firm for the traceable record. They could not supply it and had to re-test the PAT tester which was then found could not be set to comply with new regulations and should have never passed in first place.

So I would not be unduly worried about calibration. With the exception of the time on the RCD tester all other calibrations can be done in house and that way one knows they have been done.

Homer British Museum

Sponsored Links
This is not notifiable work as in Scotland but you still need to fill in an EIC.

Not strictly true, check out this document:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:building_warrants

(tables at the end of the document)

In a 3 storey+ domestic building it would be 'notifiable' although I have recently found that Glasgow City Council have been indifferent to being told of electrical works going on which should have a warrant. (go ahead you don't need a warrant, i paraphrase) Edinburgh Council are another matter, as are all the other councils who have their own policies and requirements ('legal', 'illegal', illogical or otherwise).

You should however be complying with Scottish building regs and working to BS7671 (and therefore completing certs) is a good way to demonstrate much of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back