Texecom, Honeywell, Visonic etc which for a small system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

browsed the forums for many years, thought it was about time I signed up.

I had a wireless system installed years ago but when I go broken into the control panel got smashed to bits and it never got round to dialing out.

I'd like a half decent system hence looking at the above brands.

There is only one entrance to the property and rooms that need securing.

I need two PIR's, a door contact with a shock sensor,something to cover the roller shutter, a dialer, ideally GSM and PSTN and an external bell box. Also, it would be nice to have some sort of fire detection linked back to the system.

Wired or wireless, I did like the idea of all these apps but they either seem expensive to implement or don't really work.

Visonic dialer seems expensive, this is what took Scantronic off the list.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
GSM integration is likely to be expensive across the vendors. Typically around £200 for the module alone.

I install G2-12 with IP comm's and the option of a cheap GSM dialler connected to the bell trigger as a backup. This gives all the event information via SMS/Email within a couple of seconds after a trigger. The panel, keypad IP module and cheap GSM module come in at under £200 for the lot.

If you don't have broadband, then I suppose you'll need to get the integrated GSM module. For Honeywell, you'd need to go for a Flex panel with the GSM module add-on. For Texecom, the COM-GSM. Others can chime in for other brands and the integrated module costs.

Hi,

I'd be happy with a cheap dialer as a backup. I do have broadband and a phone line, its just that they are very exposed outside and could be easily tampered with.

Does the G2 still need an add on unit for the IP comms or is it built in?

Is the G2 generally a better option over one of the Elite Texecom systems?

Thanks

Nad

You can get an enforcer gsm kit for around £240 plus vat,2 pirs,1 contact,2 fobs,wireless bell you just need backplate and cover,lock panel away in a cupboard use fobs and don't even have an entry exit zone, just sim costs for a cheap option

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'd be happy with a cheap dialer as a backup. I do have broadband and a phone line, its just that they are very exposed outside and could be easily tampered with.

Does the G2 still need an add on unit for the IP comms or is it built in?

Is the G2 generally a better option over one of the Elite Texecom systems?

Thanks

Nad

The G2 requires an IP module which is placed inside the panel and connects to the data bus. You'll pay around £35 for the G2-12 panel, £35 for the keypad and £49 for the IP module. You need to connect to the selfmon IP platform to get line path checking SMS/Email etc.

If you add in a low cost GSM dialer for backup, then you can also add your phone line into the panel and it can be monitored for line cuts. You can signal line cut on one of your GSM module channels (they normally have a couple of channels to report on).

In my opinion, the G2 will be the cheapest solution for rock solid hardware. Everyone has their own preference on the various systems though.

If sparky Mark is reading this, he can give an idea of what it will cost for the cheapest Texecom with GSM capability. I don't think anyone is supporting the COM-IP for SMS/Email Etc.

The best option was the dual com inside kit but they don't do it on the elite,so your looking at a 24 kit at around 130 plus vat and a gsm unit at around the same price so it starts to get expensive...same they don't do the self-mon for the texecom.

The G2 requires an IP module which is placed inside the panel and connects to the data bus. You'll pay around £35 for the G2-12 panel, £35 for the keypad and £49 for the IP module. You need to connect to the selfmon IP platform to get line path checking SMS/Email etc.

If you add in a low cost GSM dialer for backup, then you can also add your phone line into the panel and it can be monitored for line cuts. You can signal line cut on one of your GSM module channels (they normally have a couple of channels to report on).

Is there much difference between the G2-12 and the G2-20? I presume both of these would be ok. I notice Honeywell don't list the G12 anymore and seem to have updated the G20?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADE-Honey...5632?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item461f9566f0

Is this the older or newer G2-20?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honeywell...8583?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item3f35d62e07

I presume any of the MK7 keypads will be fine, something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Honey...2735?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item4180e3e33f

I've located the IP module through the SM website. Any idea on which GSM dialer to use, can only find the ADE version?

I presume to keep costs down all accessories should be hardwired? I presume to go wireless I would need to add in the RF module?

Any recommendations on the PIR's and smoke detectors. I presume the dualtech PIR's are the better option. Other than that I was looking at the Viper GLX shock sensor and door contact then the standard roller shutter magnetic contact.

Forgot to add, can either of them work with a keyfob or is it just easier to use the proxy. The reason I ask is that the roller shutter would open on approach before the alarm would be disarmed.

Thanks again for all the help.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

Is there much difference between the G12 and the G20? I presume both of these would be ok. I notice Honeywell don't list the G12 anymore and seem to have updated the G20?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADE-Honey...5632?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item461f9566f0

Is this the older or newer G2-20?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honeywell...8583?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item3f35d62e07

I presume any of the MK7 keypads will be fine, something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Honey...2735?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item4180e3e33f

I've located the IP module through the SM website. Any idea on which GSM dialer to use, can only find the ADE version?

I presume to keep costs down all accessories should be hardwired? I presume to go wireless I would need to add in the RF module?

Any recommendations on the PIR's and smoke detectors. I presume the dualtech PIR's are the better option. Other than that I was looking at the Viper GLX shock sensor and door contact then the standard roller shutter magnetic contact.

Thanks again for all the help.

There are 4 flavours of the G2 panels. G2-12, G2-20, G2-44 and G2-44+ The G2-44+ is different as it has a larger PSU and supports some other options. The other G2 panels are the same, with the exception of support for additonal zones. They all have 12 on-board wired zones. 12 zone is usually fine for most domestics.

MK7 keypads are fine. The CP038-01 is the keyprox version with volume control. You want volume control for domestic installation. The MK8 is also supported, functionally the same but different design with no door and Blue LCD.

Cheap GSM MODEM: 2 inputs - one can be wired to siren trigger and the other to something like FAULT. Eg. If you connect your phone line to the panel even though you are not using it, the panel can detect that it has been cut and signal you a fault.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSM-Alarm...pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&var=&hash=item4ad4ac1550

Stick to hard wired if you can. If you want wireless or a combination of wired and wireless, then you will need a C079 portal. Ensure that you get at least rev 1.07 of the portal (any variant). The portal also enables RF fobs for remote control setting.

The DT7550 dual tec from Honeywell is excellent. I only use these in garages and conservatories/sunrooms. I stick to the smaller/neater/cheaper IS215TCE which is an excellent sensor for around £8. The vipers are decent shock sensors - Honeywell also integrate the viper technology in a wireless shock SHK8M - more expensive though. Roller shutter contacts - pretty much the same. You get some with the integrated 1k/1k balance resistors.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thats great.

I presume if I want it to dial out via the PSTN as well I need a dual GSM/PSTN dialer?

In regards to the roller shutter and key fobs, is this the easiest way to do it? Don't want the roller shutter opening and prematurely setting the alarm off unless there is someway of circumnavigating this?

Lastly, is the ECO1002-A Smoke/Optical the best bet to wire straight in although if I need the RF portal it may be easier using the wireless one.

Thanks

Nad

There are a couple of options. You could set the garage up as a separate group and have the garage running as a separate system from the rest.

Or you could just program the garage roller door as a final zone and any PIR as an exit. When you open the garage, the timer will start for you to get to a keypad and unset.

PSTN dialler will require a suitable module. If you have IP and a GSM for SMS, then the PSTN is probably overkill.

If I'm asleep a phone call would more likely wake me up than a text :LOL: That was on the basis the GSM signal drops. I presume the IP doesn't call out though?

Thanks

The IP platform can be set to call out for high priority events like burglary. Options for email, SMS and voice dialling.

I have the G2-12 with the ethernet module and selfmon. It can be set to text and/or phone one or more numbers for alarm events. Works great.

Hi,

Thought I would tack this onto this thread rather than start another. I've picked up a few bits here and there off ebay for a snip of retail and now have the following:

G2-12
SM IP Module
HW RF Portal
DT8M PIR

Just waiting on a MK7 Keyprox keypad and still need to source the door contact/shock sensor combo but I'm after a bit of advice on the bell box and remotes.

Honeywell list a few bell boxes but the two main ones seem to be the Reson8 and the AG8WB/AG6WB, not sure what to go for.

Lastly, they offer a three and four button remote, the TCB800M or the TCC8m/TCC800M?

Thanks

Nad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back