The Fibonacci series

S

Sombrero

Are there any mathematicians in here?

The Fibonacci series is that list of numbers where each number is the sum of the previous two:

0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89 etc....

Which is seen in architecture and nature etc,
But doesn’t it have an error in it?
How can 0 + 0 = 1?

Sponsored Links
Tiny technical detail - it's a sequence and not a series. Anyway, the main point is that if you pick any two starting numbers then you'll build a Fibonacci sequence. The most well know one is the one you cite.

You've obviously been watching The Da Vinci Code, again,,, Haven't you. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Are there any mathematicians in here?

The Fibonacci series is that list of numbers where each number is the sum of the previous two:

Which is seen in architecture and nature etc,
But doesn’t it have an error in it?
How can 0 + 0 = 1?

As far as I know, 0 is not part of the Fibonacci sequence.

Hate to correct you JBR, but any pair of starting numbers can be used to generate a Fibonacci. (Obviously a double 0 is the only exception)

The sequence of the ratios of the terms to the ones before will always converge to the golden ratio.

:mrgreen:

Hate to correct you JBR, but any pair of starting numbers can be used to generate a Fibonacci. (Obviously a double 0 is the only exception)

The sequence of the ratios of the terms to the ones before will always converge to the golden ratio.

:mrgreen:

Yer wot? :eek:

It is only when you reach the third digit that you have a 'previous two'. At that point, the pevious two are '0' and '1' which if my arithmatic is right = 1, ie the sum of the previous two).

I'm not sure what happened to your post, but I agree. 0 + 1 = 1, 1 + 1 = 2, etc.

I must have been writing in my sleep before!

How exactly are these numbers found in architecture and nature? I always thought that they were just a bunch of numbers that someone had claimed as their own invention. I could have made up any sequence and called it the squeaky sequence :LOL:

serious question though??

Snail shells and stuff like that. In art they call it the 'golden mean' and most famous paintings use it.

How exactly are these numbers found in architecture and nature? I always thought that they were just a bunch of numbers that someone had claimed as their own invention. I could have made up any sequence and called it the squeaky sequence :LOL:

serious question though??

Its often shown to account for that spiral effect seen in the seed head of some plants eg the sunflower

And the spiral lines formed by the 'bumpy bits' on pineapples!

Sponsored Links
Back