1/1 = 1
2/1 = 2
3/2 = 1.5
5/3 = 1.6666
8/5 = 1.6
13/8 = 1.625
21/13 = 1.615....
etc etc

As you continue, this will converge to the golden ratio 1.61803...
which has some weird properties, one of which is 1/1.61803 = 0.61803...

This happens quite regardless of which two starting numbers you choose.

There are plenty of other weird things about it, including the connection between the length of the a diagonal of a pentagon and the length of one of its sides.

Also (and I've tried this several times now and it sort of demonstrates why artists use it) if you ask a number of people to draw a rectangle which they find "pleasing to the eye", and work out the average of the lengths/widths, you get a very good approximation for 1.618...

Sponsored Links
There are literally thousands of examples where this ratio occurs in nature
some are here ~

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibnat.html

So it begs a question... if there is a mathematical proportion that occurs again and again almost as a definite design principle how could this have come about through the completely random process of evolution ?

Its a valid question, if some on here don't like it tough. Whats their explanation ?

Oh and start with your own Hand !!!!!
http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibnat.html#fingers

Also (and I've tried this several times now and it sort of demonstrates why artists use it) if you ask a number of people to draw a rectangle which they find "pleasing to the eye", and work out the average of the lengths/widths, you get a very good approximation for 1.618...

You also find this ratio in well-proportioned buildings and architectural features. We seem to have a natural preference for such things.

Perhaps there is a God after all, and he thought up the Fibonacci ratio!

Sponsored Links
The golden ratio is 1.618. It's found in the spirals of snail shells, sunflower seeds, pine cones - all around us. It's also found all over the human body. The ratio between the length and width of the face is 1.618. The ratio of the distance between the finger tip and the elbow and the distance between the wrist and the elbow is 1.618. Distance between the navel and knee and the knee and the end of the foot is 1.618. This is the ONLY accurate test to see if a person is alien or human. Now, get out your tape measures and report back. We already know one or two of you are aliens (no names) but the proof would be welcome.

some are here ~

So it begs a question... if there is a mathematical proportion that occurs again and again almost as a definite design principle how could this have come about through the completely random process of evolution ?

Its a valid question, if some on here don't like it tough. Whats their explanation ?

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibnat.html#fingers[/QUOTE]

Evolution isn't random.

Wouldn't be called the Fibonacci sequence then...

Well I suppose we should call it the 'God ratio' then, except I don't believe in God so I'll stick with the present name!

It does seem more than co-incidence, though, that this ratio is so common in nature. I think, rather than God, we were visited by aliens thousands of years ago, who taught us how to do it, and a lot more besides!

It does seem more than co-incidence, though, that this ratio is so common in nature. I think, rather than God, we were visited by aliens thousands of years ago, who taught us how to do it, and a lot more besides!
Which begs the question - "who taught the aliens?" ;)

Thanks for your explanations. I do remember some years ago watching one of those christmas lectures all about the 'spiral' and how it's found in all things on earth. Totally amazing stuff.

I've come up with the 'squeaky's foreign customer sequence':

Work out a figure for the job
Add fifty per cent of that figure
Let them barter you down to the original figure so that they feel they have squeezed you dry:

100,150,100, 200,300,200, 300,450,300, 400,600,400 etc

I've come up with the 'squeaky's foreign customer sequence':

Work out a figure for the job
Add fifty per cent of that figure
Let them barter you down to the original figure so that they feel they have squeezed you dry:

100,150,100, 200,300,200, 300,450,300, 400,600,400 etc
Must be a London thing!

Wouldn't be called the Fibonacci sequence then...

Well I suppose we should call it the 'God ratio' then, except I don't believe in God so I'll stick with the present name!

well maybe the physics ratio seeing as were all governed by physics... and gravity. Sunflower seed heads exist in a 3d space (forget time and other stuff for now), so maybe their maths is a result of gravity?

some are here ~

http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibnat.html#fingers[/QUOTE]

Evolution isn't random.

huh ? all the correct amino acids proteins all came together by CHANCE lightening or a thunderball hit it and it came to life as the first cell and that's not random ? it managed to reproduce and with countless mutations again its the CHANCY mutations that were advantageous for evolution to go forward and we are arrive at consciousness today......evolutions not chance how do you work that out?

Which begs the question - "who taught the aliens?" ;)

Some other aliens!

Sponsored Links
Back