The Idiot Returns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, don't worry, I haven't damaged my car again! (//www.diynot.com/forums/automotive-repairs/i-am-an-idiot.302426/) I'm just asking for some advice this time.

I've just taken my car in to be serviced at Halfords Autocentre. I was attracted by a £30-off voucher I had but I'm wondering whether that is a bit of a con.

They rang to say my car was mechanically sound but there were a few issues:
1. The cam belt is scheduled to be replaced. Apparently the recommended time is 5 years or 60k miles and it reached 5 years earlier this year. Estimated cost about £450.
2. Brake fluid is scheduled to be replaced. Estimated cost about £30-40.
3. Anti-freeze is a "bit weak" and should be replaced, "especially in case we have a bad winter". Estimated cost about £30-40.
4. They also want to add some Fuel System Cleaner to help my engine perform better and get better mileage etc. Estimated cost about £30-40.

I have declined all of these extras and just gone for the service. Mainly as I can't afford them, having just wasted £100 on getting my bodywork fixed :oops:. However, what I'd like to know, is whether all of this work is necessary? It seems like they are just going on the recommended replacement times rather than actual wear and tear.

The cam belt sounds pretty urgent but is that a good price for it? Would it be worth shopping around?

Sponsored Links
As above - the coolant needs seeing to if its weak, but ask the independant timing belt replacer to do that too.....
Fuel system cleaner? Con.
Brake fluid - well its hygroscopic and should be replaced at intervals but personally I think the manufacturers have neatly got on to that bandwagon....simple to make cash doing that!
John :)

I agree. You can end up with 4-figure bills if the timing belt snaps, and they deteriorate with time as well as mileage. I don't know what the car is, but £450 sounds excessive. Shop around as ch247 says.

As for the other stuff, Brake fluid absorbs water and should be replaced every 2 years. People often don't, and then end up moaning about sticking brake caliper pistons and so on, because the water in there has rusted the steel parts of the braking system! If you're going to keep the car, change the fluid. £30-40 isn't that bad a price.

Anti-freeze being "weak"? They test it (in about 30 seconds!) with a hygrometer. The density of the mixture can be read off against a table giving an approximate temperature down to which it won't freeze. If by "a bit weak" they mean -30 degrees, I wouldn't worry too much. if they mean "-5", I'd seriously get it done! They should be able to tell you this instead of vague waffle like that! There are generally 2 types of antifreeze - the "blue stuff" which is cheaper but doesn't last as long, or the "pink stuff" which is eye-wateringly expensive but lasts longer (5 years or more, I think - not sure though)! £30-40 is about right for the "pink stuff".

I wouldn't bother with fuel system cleaner unless you make your own fuel and strain it through an old pair of the Mrs' tights!

Sponsored Links
Great. Thanks for the information. My car is a Renault Clio MkIII, 06 plate, with about 35k on the clock.

When the water pump on our Renault Scenic failed at about 55,000 miles, the mechanic at our usual (independent) garage told us that it was driven by the timing belt and that this should be replaced as well. The whole job was just over £400 so, unless the Clio is a lot harder to do, I agree with the others; £450 is excessive.

i would expect a timing belt kit and a water pump for that car to be around £100. Another £120 labour should be a fair price

Having had a timing belt g on the same renault twice - get it done soonest.

They are not kidding about the 5 year period.

Sponsored Links
Back