The Order of DIY (and keeping the wife happy)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Think Tank.
Sorry in advance for the post length and context.

Long time voyeur but first post.
Love some of the DIY work I have seen on here and definitely given me the drive to get started on some work.

Context;
I'm an English born Australian (born here but parents moved when I was a baby). So I am used to >160m^2 houses.
My wife + 2 dogs (springer + lab) + baby and I bought our 1978 detached house last year.
After several months of being in it, it is feeling a bit cramped and lacking some obvious space areas.
Bought in our area due to walking distance to several of my wife's immediate family.
I work from home on half days twice a week and I have late afternoons/evenings and weekends.
I have done lots of reno work in Tasmania but never done brick laying and foundation work.

Project thoughts
1. Astro turf isolated area of the backyard with a removable fence
2. Build on the back of the house as part of PD a kitchen / diner 7m x 3.5m (quoted £60k+)
3. Build a porch on the front 1.5m x 2m (quoted £12k from builder)
4. Build 2 storey extension for garage + utility room +5th bedroom

Photos
Show the backyard size I have to play with, the fake grass area (red box) and my start of SketchUp for Project 1&2
In the SketchUp the White building is the (start of) the extension, and the fake grass is between that and the white picket.

Problems
Our front door opens to a very small hall, no space for shoes or coats.
Our dining area has space for a 4 person table at best and is our airing room so never enough space to eat at the table.
Lounge room is 4x4.5m and along dog beds, baby bouncer + stroller, and sofas its not very spacious.
Our area in SE UK is very, very, very clay muddy. And our Springer is constantly bringing mud in from either the yard or any off-lead dog walks.
Garage is not connected to the house and dryer is in there, with no reasonable area in the kitchen to add this in.

My main priority of work is project 2,1,3,4. To my wife it is1,3,2,4 - due to the pram (project 3) and the dogs bringing mud in (project 1)

I want to resolve the mud issue being created for the dogs and sort a fake grass area, this will keep my wife happy.
But I dont want to build something that will ultimately need part removing to place foundation work for project 2.

Questions
1. Does anyone have a good approach to getting the fake grass and underlayer to a degree that will be good and not waste money with then removing it?
2. Considering the lack of brick work I have done, I am considering doing the porch first. Its smaller to test the water, still have a side door to get in/out. Is this a good idea
3. Will both project 3 and 2 be allowed under PD before having the do permissions for 4? Is it accumulative from the 'original'?
4. If PD is accumulative should I prioritise one of the projects first?

Any other thoughts or inputs welcome.
As I get the SketchUp more and more along I will add to this post.

TIA

Attachments

• 1705181140058.png
    1705181140058.png
    378.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Untitled.jpeg
    Untitled.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Beware fake grass can retain smell of dog urine unlike real grass.

You might need to think about the time you have available to do the work and the timescale you need to do it in. You might want to consider doing the foundation then get a bricklayer in to get the walls up to plate height.

If you have the budget, you could get the foundations done for all in one go, that would work out cheaper

bear in mind if you have clay you might need deep footings and suspended floors

Thanks for the suggestions.

Definitely aware of the fake grass, we have had it before and it had a chemical in it to reduce this. As well as this it'll be on a sand base rather than pavers etc to allow good water permeation.

Definitely got plans to have a brickie in for bits. I know there's courses, but ideally a good brickie can show the ropes as well as do 2 days worth of work for the price of a course. Which should be my porch mostly done.

Foundations savings is interesting but probably not massive massive. I'd probably look to do self mix for the porch if doing it first and then truck delivered for the other projects.

Timeframe wise looking at 3 years for the lot. The wife is wanting the fake grass sorting out this wide of Spring however.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back