The perils of buying another house from a so called builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I first moved into my house the previous owner was supposed to be a builder who was also corgi registered, the very first day of moving in, there was a note left for me by his wife stating "when using the gas fire make sure after use you turn off the gas tap on the floor as there is a slight smell of gas in that area."

So I looked at the fire and then realised that the prat had extended the chrome gas pipe to the fire and used copper pre-solder joints but hadn't removed the chrome finish from the gas pipe, so the solder wouldn't take to the pipes and he just left it, may as well have just pushed the pipes into the copper joints and left it unsoldered. Apparently they had been using it like this for months :eek:

The garden had a pond in it and I found that there was a fountain in the pond, I found the switch in the shed, I switched it on and all of a sudden I could see all these frogs on the surface of the pond all stretched out and shaking, yep the fountain pump casing was knackerd and instead of taking it out or disconnecting it, he left it, which meant when I switched it on it electrocuted the frogs. (good job my 6 year old son didn't have his hand in the pond at the time)

Then one day I had water coming through the ceiling from the loft, so up I went to find that he had installed the combi boiler in the attic but hadn't fitted any pipes to go outside from the pressure relief valves and yep you guessed it the pressure built up, they blew and the central heating water went all over the floor of the attic and down the walls of the landing, stairs, hall, oh and bathroom!

When I spoke with my new neighbor it turns out that the previous owner had no building experience what so ever, he worked in a factory before starting up his so called home improvements company and a few doors up had a brick archway built over their front gate by him and it fell down a few days later :eek: then I find out that someone in the next street had an extension built by him and it actually devalued the house :eek: and the reason why they had sold the house was because the wife had finally had enough of falling out with neighbors and so divorced him :LOL:

So I have now rewired and replumbed the whole house for safety, luckily he hadn't done to much to the structure ;)

Sponsored Links
Back