two good reasons

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Two good reasons why this happened.

1: The customer fitted the fire himself :eek:

2: He bought the fire and fittings from a well know shed :rolleyes:

He is very lucky he and his young family are still here let alone the house and that of the neighbours.

The gas pipe had not been protected passing through the wall and builders opening, Less than twelve months fitted and the gas pipe had perished enough for it to rupture. The gas fire was lit (good knows why in this weather) and fortunately the flame only flashed back to the ruptured pipe, could have been a lot worse had the heat from fire not cleared the flue of an explosive mixture. Five or six hours later his wife noticed the blackening within the fire place," when touched it felt very hot " she said, NO s**t Sherlock. Anyway made safe and returning Thurs to install correctly.

Now this has raised a question. If I am re-fitting an existing fire is this still notifiable :?:

Sponsored Links
One word to describe this guy. Moron. Words fail me. I wouldn't touch gas pipes in my own home, and if i did, i'd at least make sure i did it properly. :rolleyes:

Maybe photos like these should be included in the packaging of items sold to DIY people.

Many people do not realise the dangers of DIY work and I feel many would not attempt it if they were shown the results of work not carried out to the right standard.

Sponsored Links
clf-gas said:
Two good reasons why this happened.

1: The customer fitted the fire himself :eek:

2: He bought the fire and fittings from a well know shed :rolleyes:

And

3: Look at the Mickey Mouse Chinese adjustable he used.

You can call the man.... you can call his family......but you never NEVER call a man's tools! ;)
Bad tools in good hands beat good tools in bad hands anyday.

keyplayer said:
Crafty said:
I wouldn't touch gas pipes in my own home, and if i did, i'd at least make sure i did it properly.

lol...
Yeah, either excellently, or a total bodge and raise the place to the ground! :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: Look at the Mickey Mouse Chinese adjustable he used. :LOL: :LOL:

You cheeky s*d KP, Thats My little 4". Passed down from my Granmothers Granmother, and thats 8mm pipe

Sponsored Links
Back