"The Scots, A nation of cultural ghosts" - What sa

The curious thing for me about this is that Cameron has allowed the voting age for Scots referendum to be lowered to 16 from 18. When I was 16 I hadn't got a clue what was what politically and would be susceptable to any load of tripe whichever popular newspaper/TV show was espousing.

So why has Cameron allowed a bunch of 16 year olds who'll be swayed by a screening of Braveheart on election night?

What does the UK government know about all this that we dont?

------------------

Personally I dont think Scots independance is a good idea. IIRC a huge number of Scots live outside Scotland and if they do go independant they'll no doubt be encouraged to return to the motherland by the new government in a bid to boost population.
More population means more houses.
Scotland is too pretty to be covered up with housing estates.

Sponsored Links
In retrospect, when I introduced this thread, I had a sneaking feeling that Bagehot got it right and that the Scots were indeed "A nation of cultural ghosts". But then I got to thinking, wait a minute, if they are, then for exactly the same reasons, so too are the English, the Welsh and the people of Northern Ireland.

When it comes to sports like rugby or football between the 4 British nations, I have absolutely no doubt where my allegiance lies. Does that make me a cultural ghost too?

I said in my opening post that the haunting season is over. I was wrong. Mac Marley rides again and it It wont be over until September!

So why has Cameron allowed a bunch of 16 year olds who'll be swayed by a screening of Braveheart on election night?

I believe that many Scottish schools have had their own elections and that the "bunch of 16 year olds", generally speaking, voted 'No'

In retrospect, when I introduced this thread, I had a sneaking feeling that Bagehot got it right and that the Scots were indeed "A nation of cultural ghosts". But then I got to thinking, wait a minute, if they are, then for exactly the same reasons, so too are the English, the Welsh and the people of Northern Ireland.

When it comes to sports like rugby or football between the 4 British nations, I have absolutely no doubt where my allegiance lies. Does that make me a cultural ghost too?

I said in my opening post that the haunting season is over. I was wrong. Mac Marley rides again and it It wont be over until September!

In rugby 3 British Nations and Ireland :)

Sponsored Links

So because people support Liverpool FC, liverpool is a culture/country?

I believe that many Scottish schools have had their own elections and that the "bunch of 16 year olds", generally speaking, voted 'No'
Which gets even curiouser as IIRC it was Alex Salmond's idea.

The curious thing for me about this is that Cameron has allowed the voting age for Scots referendum to be lowered to 16 from 18. When I was 16 I hadn't got a clue what was what politically and would be susceptable to any load of tripe whichever popular newspaper/TV show was espousing.

------------------

Personally I dont think Scots independance is a good idea. IIRC a huge number of Scots live outside Scotland and if they do go independant they'll no doubt be encouraged to return to the motherland by the new government in a bid to boost population.

Further to your signature mate, we're busy building houses for immigrants & dole scrounges mate, all currently funded in no small part by the Scottish Government controlled by the SNP.

What you have failed to point out in your drivel; Scots are British. One other point, why did you do a Mickey Mouse degree in a red brick uni, no doubt!! Were you not intelligent enough for a proper degree course like Law??

------------------

Further to your signature mate, we're busy building houses for immigrants & dole scrounges mate, all currently funded in no small part by the Scottish Government controlled by the SNP.

What you have failed to point out in your drivel; Scots are British. One other point, why did you do a Mickey Mouse degree in a red brick uni, no doubt!! Were you not intelligent enough for a proper degree course like Law??

Pardon?
What signature?
For that matter, what degree?

So at 16 you can join up in the armed forces in theory be killed for your country before your 18 but your classed not intelligent enough to vote but intelligent enough to put your life on the line.

On otherhand you could be an 80 odd year old losing your marbles but are thought perfectly acceptable to vote

So at 16 you can join up in the armed forces in theory be killed for your country before your 18 but your classed not intelligent enough to vote but intelligent enough to put your life on the line.
I'm currently working for an ex-Sargent-Major and the way he treats his staff suggests you are correct.
He certainly has issues managing anyone with enough braincells to question orders from above.

------------------

Pardon?
What signature?
For that matter, what degree?

Indeed what degree?? Thick as mince springs to mind!!........ :LOL:

Indeed what degree?? Thick as mince springs to mind!!........ :LOL:

At no point on in this thread or indeed on this board the internet in general or real life, have I ever claimed to hold a degree or even been to university.

Either you have me mistaken for someone else, or you should drop in to Specsavers on your way to the adult learning centre to brush up on your English comprehension.

Sponsored Links
Back