The Weather

More to the point, what makes you think the rate of increase being discussed, which you have to really expand the axes on a graph to look even remotely concerning, hasn't happened numerous times before without the influence of man
Because it hasn’t without a single event like volcano, comet etc….which I think we might’ve noticed over last 150 years.

If only you did some research Berty instead of relying on your uninformed bias.

Sponsored Links
More to the point, what makes you think the rate of increase being discussed, which you have to really expand the axes on a graph to look even remotely concerning, hasn't happened numerous times before without the influence of man? The period selected seems somewhat arbitrary.

I have simply been trying to determine two basic points. Do you believe that the gases have a warming effect, and do you believe the earth is actually warming. I have heard plenty of people dispute either or both of these things and I was just interested in where you stand.

The next questions would be, are the gases causing the warming and if so is it anything to worry about.

I think the period selected coincides with the start of the industrial revolution.

Last edited:
Certainly not. Check any thermometer and the technical information will explain that there's a potential variation in readings. Plus or minus a degree might be more accurate but that is of significance when the claims being made by alarmists involve roughly 1 degree centigrade.
You may not believe this, but we have an invention called a computer and a world wide network. What that enables those clever weather people to do, is monitor the temperature at any given time and place over many different locations and parameters - chuck all those billions of numbers into a great big pot and make sense of what is going on.

Perhaps you thought they stood outside with a finger in the air?

:rolleyes:

You may not believe this, but we have an invention called a computer and a world wide network. What that enables those clever weather people to do, is monitor the temperature at any given time and place over many different locations and parameters - chuck all those billions of numbers into a great big pot and make sense of what is going on.

Perhaps you thought they stood outside with a finger in the air?

:rolleyes:
He doesn't do thinking or checking

Sponsored Links
I have simply been trying to determine two basic points. Do you believe that the gases have a warming effect, and do you believe the earth is actually warming. I have heard plenty of people dispute either or both of these things and I was just interested in where you stand.

The next questions would be, are the gases causing the warming and if so is it anything to worry about.

I think the period selected coincides with the start of the industrial revolution.

Fair enough.

I don't think anybody really understands which factors are more or less significant in terms of the warming. We know that there is a star called the Sun a very fortunate and convenient distance from the planet we inhabit and most of the warming starts there in the first instance. There is also primordial heat inside the earth itself - geophysical heating if you will (think geysers, molten lava, etc.)

So called green house gases help to trap some of the heat, with water vapour being the most significant. CO2 and methane two of the others. Good thing too or life on earth might not be possible. The clouds play a role too, both in heat retention and reflecting sunlight away.

There appear to be phenomena beyond the earth, in addition to the Sun, that also have a bearing.

Where is the contribution of man and the associated CO2 in the grand scheme of things? It isn't possible to know based on our technology and understanding. We can only speculate. Obviously, I'm something of a heretic for saying this but I seriously don't see how we've got to a point where what I've written so far could be considered controversial. And to be clear, I have no more reason to want the world to end than you or anybody else. I rather like my humble little life and I don't benefit financially from any cause that might be considered biased in this discussion.

Is it something to be concerned about? To be honest, Jonathan, I don't think there is much we can do about the climate cycles that have always occurred. Also, we exist on a molten ball of rock spinning at high speed whilst circling a star, and it's a hostile universe full of comets, asteroids and god knows what. For most of history, including before we emerged in our current form, life would've been pretty dangerous, brutish and horrible. Think of all the predators we were outnumbered by, the constant harassment from cold, disease, tooth ache, broken bones - long before there was central heating and modern medicine. Massive volcanic eruptions have previously wiped out large numbers of living creatures and this is in the geological record. In fact, it is speculated that the Black Death was an indirect result of volcanic eruptions causing cooling and promoting certain bacteria. Bottom line: it's all pretty terrifying!

But all of this leads me to a positive outlook. The fact we exist at all, and it has all been possible, seems like some kind of unbelievable miracle, and the lives we enjoy in modern society, if we don't sit around worrying too much, are truly miraculous. Best we can do is enjoy it, accept that it can end at any time for a whole host of reasons outside our control, trust in the genius of man when he is left to innovate and find solutions, and enjoy it all whilst it lasts. Life is truly a gift, and we are extremely lucky to exist, especially at this time.

My hunch is that we are not, as a species, going to be harmed by climate change any time soon - we will probably be destroyed by other things many centuries and millennia before climate change is a concern.

Last edited:
What's your point, Jonathan?

By the way, the claims quoted (I am unable to quote your post) are based on the available data - from thermometers mainly for the period under considerarion. Thermometers have massively increased in number over the period you mention - and massively increased in global coverage. A lot of warm developing countries would have had very few if any reliable ones earlier on whereas somewhere like England would have had far more. Even modern thermometers aren't that accurate, plus or minus a couple of degrees. And they are often located in hot positions like at airports or, in any case, urban areas which have a lot of background heat to them compared to non urban areas. The basic data just isn't very good I'm afraid.
Thermometers, lol.

FFS. :rolleyes:

No one really understands it fully, and can explain it - the best they can do is understand it's effects.

They don't even fully understand how a gyroscope works, and manages to defy gravity. Likewise, a bicycle.

Not at all...

Gravity is caused simply by mass... the greater the mass, the greater the gravitational pull... Large planets have high gravity and small planets have low gravity (which is why the gravity on the moon is much lower than gravity on earth)

Gyroscopes and bicycles are fully understood and have been for 200 odd years... they simply use centrifugal forces to overcome gravity

Not at all...

Gravity is caused simply by mass... the greater the mass, the greater the gravitational pull... Large planets have high gravity and small planets have low gravity (which is why the gravity on the moon is much lower than gravity on earth)

That is a well understood effect of gravity, rather than an explanation of what gravity is.

Gyroscopes and bicycles are fully understood and have been for 200 odd years... they simply use centrifugal forces to overcome gravity

Gyroscopes and bikes, are still subject to gravity, why don't they fall over?

I already explained that

No you didn't, you dismissed it - care to try again? Some of the best minds in the country have attempted to explain it and failed.

As I explained - we do understand the effects, but not the principles.

No you didn't, you dismissed it - care to try again? Some of the best minds in the country have attempted to explain it and failed.

As I explained - we do understand the effects, but not the principles.

Centrifugal force, look it up.

Goodnight

Sponsored Links
Back