TheHighmayWan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you could explain the point your were trying to make with your anecdote, perhaps we could reach some common ground. I merely explained that the gentleman that you met in a supermarket had every right to choose where to live, as he pleased.
In the process, could you point out which information you actually received from the gentleman, which information you deduced from the conversation, and which information that you assumed. For instance, was he living full time in Portugal? Was he registered for medical care in Portugal? Did he have top-up insurance for medical care in Portugal? Did he have a condition that he was prepared to divulge to you? Did he have any other reason for returning to UK? Was he retired? Was he a pensioner? Had he return to UK full time? There are loads more such questions.

I let an old fellow in front of me in the checkout queue because he had a basket of goods while I had a trolly full.

We got talking.
He told me that he had moved to Portugal with his wife many years ago and that she had died there a few years back.

He lived in, he said, a beautiful national park bordering Spain. It sounded something like Ever..... I remember him saying it was spelt with a PH. He told me to look it up on the net but I never found it.

I know nothing about his health care arrangements only that he had returned to the UK for treatment that he couldn't get in Portugal. I didn't ask him why.

I have met/worked for people that have returned from Spain and France for the same reason.

Can't tell you anymore than that.

I have just finished working on a new build where the couple sold the mobile home they were living to a couple returning from Spain. They are returning because of brexit and what it might mean for them.

Sponsored Links
All I know, is if the lived in Portugal they probably came back for something to eat. The food is indescribably bad in Portugal. We had to resort to going to where the locals eat.... McDonalds!! (nice pastries though)

Nothing like sweeping generalisations to give true picture.

Isn't Britain famous for poor food?

Recent link: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...s-to-dislike-the-British-by-the-Belgians.html
upload_2018-7-27_15-12-30.png

I am allowed - despite the EU - to cook whatever I want.

cant say Belgium is known for it Haute cuisine. I guess it a generalisation but been to Portugal 3 times... food was always very low quality, no variation, poorly prepared and scarce. Lisbon..:D.. what a total utter dump!

Sponsored Links
Probably meant Evora.. which took about 30 seconds of googling.

cant say Belgium is known for it Haute cuisine.
More like horse cuisine. Been to Belgium a few times, and contrary to lies told on here, I am not anti foreigner. Traveling around on trains through the country you see field after field, and unlike here I didn't see many cows, but lots of horses. The steaks we had were the best I'd tasted, puts the 'spoons tuesday special into second spot.Frites & mayo is a must, along with waffles with speculoos.Word of warning given to me on my first visit, don't hang about outside Brussels station, the area is rough and crime is rife.

More like horse cuisine. Been to Belgium a few times, and contrary to lies told on here, I am not anti foreigner. Traveling around on trains through the country you see field after field, and unlike here I didn't see many cows, but lots of horses. The steaks we had were the best I'd tasted, puts the 'spoons tuesday special into second spot.Frites & mayo is a must, along with waffles with speculoos.Word of warning given to me on my first visit, don't hang about outside Brussels station, the area is rough and crime is rife.

The dutch also claim Frites & Mayo.. been a couple of times.. food ok.. nothing to write home about.

All I know, is if the lived in Portugal they probably came back for something to eat. The food is indescribably bad in Portugal. We had to resort to going to where the locals eat.... McDonalds!! (nice pastries though)

When we were in Lisbon, the custard tarts were fantastic. Seems to be a local speciality. Who'd have thunk it!

When we were in Lisbon, the custard tarts were fantastic. Seems to be a local speciality. Who'd have thunk it!

Well, pastéis de nata is one of the most famous pastries from Portugal.

I sometimes go to the Dorset steam rally and there is a stall in the food tent that sells just one item: Portugese custard tarts! Its so popularbthey run out them by the end of each day.

Ive not been to Portugal, but Id be surprised if the food was that bad.

Certainly the amount of processed food, ie ready made meals, takeaways etc is minute in Portugal compared to the UK -this country had a terrible diet.

Although surprisingly the UK is quite far down the list of diabetes rates.....which I find hard to understand

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/2015/08/which-country-highest-diabetes-europe/

Sponsored Links
Back