heard it all now

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on newsnight talking about in or out off the eu and some not having a vote because they live in spain
he moans about the foreigners in tunbridge wells when he returns back to the uk missing the irony off the situation :D

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the ex-pats in Spain don't have the ability to find out and participate in postal votes. As long as they have not been ex-pat for more than thirteen years they are entitled to vote.

i know in the past there pension was not updated if they lived in spain permanently
so every few years they would have to spend more than 6 months in the uk to upgrade there pensions but now with inflation so low its not economically viable for some
i dont know if doing this resets the clock for voting

I know in the past their pension was not updated if they lived in Spain permanently,
so every few years they would have to spend more than 6 months in the UK to upgrade their pensions. But now with inflation so low its not economically viable for some
This doesn't apply to EU countries which I'm sure of, or most Commonwealth Countries, I think. It also doesn't apply to some other countries such as USA, I think.
Here's a link to the 'horse's mouth' so to speak:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-pay-an-annual-increase-in-the-state-pension
I don't know if doing this resets the clock for voting
They're separate entities. If you have a UK address and are liable for tax in UK, you're not ex-pat. So the thirteen years start from when you no longer have a UK address, and are liable for tax in another country.
The residence/tax liability status is quite complicated. it's not simply six months of the year. It can be if you want it that way, but it can depend on your general social/familial/business contacts also.
Otherwise those who spend, say eight months one year, five months another year, etc, would be swapping their residence/tax status constantly.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i think it might have changed with the 2010 legislation and suspect they probably lost there winter fuel allowance at the same time

It sounds like the ex-pats in Spain don't have the ability to find out and participate in postal votes. As long as they have not been ex-pat for more than thirteen years they are entitled to vote.
Good. Stops them voting to stay in EU.

I think it might have changed with the 2010 legislation and suspect they probably lost their winter fuel allowance at the same time
The pension increases didn't change.
The winter fuel allowance only changed last year, or this year.
But the winter fuel allowance does not depend on whether you live abroad or not, it depends on the average temperature wherever you happen to live.
So ex-pats in Norway, Sweden, Germany etc will still get their allowance, whereas those in France, Spain, etc won't get it. Amazingly, I believe they take into account the French dependent colonies to average the French annual temperature.
Again, from the horse's mouth: https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/eligibility

As long as they have not been ex-pat for more than thirteen years they are entitled to vote.
I thought it was 15 years?

At least it's good to see the U.S.A. on the list now where the U.K. pension increases will be paid - It wasn't so some years ago. It always seemed completely unfair to me: If people have paid into the U.K. scheme why shouldn't they be able to receive the updated pension amount wherever they decide to go and live?

As long as they have not been ex-pat for more than thirteen years they are entitled to vote.
You're right PBC. My mistake.
I don't know how I managed thirteen years. I'd previously advised you but I can't remember how many years I quoted.
Horse's mouth source again:
https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

Incidentally, I agree with your sentiments about paying and receiving correct amount of pension with increases, irrespective of where you live.
It's not like the pension credit, which you receive if you haven't paid in enough.
For the pension credit, I believe you have to be resident in UK and not abroad for more than a few weeks at a time.

Last edited:
Incidentally, I agree with your sentiments about paying and receiving correct amount of pension with increases, irrespective of where you live.
We've finally found something on which to agree! :)

For the pension credit, I believe you have to be resident in UK and not abroad for more than a few weeks at a time.
This link suggests it's limited to Great Britain only:

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/eligibility

Is pension credit not available at all in Northern Ireland, or does it have its own separate scheme?

At least it's good to see the U.S.A. on the list now where the U.K. pension increases will be paid - It wasn't so some years ago. It always seemed completely unfair to me: If people have paid into the U.K. scheme why shouldn't they be able to receive the updated pension amount wherever they decide to go and live?
If you are living here (the UK), collecting the State pension here, you may feel be contributing to the financial well being the UK. Think, Vat, fuel duty, road tax, income tax even?. If not living here, please explain why you should get increases paid for by the younger ones who are here? (there is no state pension 'pot' as such, monies come in at the bottom, and leave at match the same rate)

I have got my tin hat on, so feel free to postulate.

People have been paying into the system for years on the understanding that they'll receive whatever the current pension will be at the time they come to draw it, with the aqppropriate annual increases. Why should they be penalized for wanting to live elsewhere?

And true, pensioners outside the U.K. may not be paying other taxes back into the U.K. system, but that's the case if they retire to any one of the countries for which they do get the annual increases. Also, they won't be using things like NHS services, senior-citizen bus passes, etc.

This link suggests it's limited to Great Britain only:

https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit/eligibility

Is pension credit not available at all in Northern Ireland, or does it have its own separate scheme?
I don't know, is the short answer.
I wasn't aware of the eligibility for Pension Credit being limited to GB. I thought it was UK. That link does clearly state GB only.
I was going on my understanding only.
This is one of the reasons why I enjoy this forum: because it motivates one to clarify issues and validate opinions.

Sponsored Links
Back