There's a hidden drip in my cellar....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I live in a 100 your old back-to-back terrace, which has a cellar. These properties generally have always had a bit of damp problem (with a bit of white mould), but more recently its gotten considerably worse (green mould too). So bad, that for the first time, I have actually had a puddle on the concrete floor.

I’d had a bath an hour or so beforehand, and went to collect the diner for defrosting. First I saw the puddle and then realised I could hear a continuous drip from outside of the cellar – saw nothing. Popped outside (for once it wasn’t raining), and heard it dripping from the outside below the drainpipe’s guttering = below ground surface. The drainpipe leads directly into the gutter hole, so its not dripping onto itself.

Any suggestions on finding a solution?

OH PS, damp proofing these properties generally fail!

Ta
M

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if your cellar will always be damp, and there isn't anything you can do about that; however, you now have a new problem which is making things a lot worse.

It's not clear from your post what you mean by 'guttering'. However, it sounds as if the drain from the bathroom goes into a gully, and that the same gully takes rainwater from the house roof. Again, it sounds as if it's the water from the bath that's finding its way into your cellar.

It could be that the gully is blocked, and the bathwater is spilling over and leaking through the ground. Or (less likely) the gully or its associated drain is cracked and allowing the drain water to leak out.

I would investigate the blocked gully possibility first. They can get blocked easily, especially when a kitchen sink drains into them (all that grease). Don't try unblocking with chemicals: they will leave you with a blocked drain filled with nasty caustic liquid which you can't easily get rid of.

Once you know it's clear, try tipping a bucket of water into the gully and make sure it runs away.

Thank Xerxes

Spoke to my neighbour who mentioned the 'bit' by the bath was overflowing, so yes there does seem to be a blockage up there.

You suggest not to use chemicals, but if the block is half way down (or beyond easy clearing, how do you suggest clearing the block pls?

I am not certain whether its been a very wet summer, which has made it worse (said neighbour also said that the summer = damp cellars, winter = dry un!) this year, or could it be that earthquake back in the spring? Could that have shifted the pipes underground?

But ofc, first things first, check the top pipes. I will let you know what I find out - once I have found a 10ft ladder, and no-one too scared to go up it!

M

The 'bit' by the bathroom would be a hopper; if it's overflowing there, it doesn't follow that the blockage is there. However, it would be as well to check. Make sure the ladder is at a safe angle, and get someone to foot it if you feel that's necessary. Pour some water in and see what happens. Poke out any blockage with a flexible drain clearing tool like this.

To clear the gully, first pull out the grid (if there is one). They often get choked with fallen leaves, which are easily to get rid of, and hair, which isn't. Then poke around with a drain clearing tool. If you find there's a lot of gunge to get rid of, you may need to use a small garden trowel, or an old spoon, to remove it. Or your hands, which can reach further: don't be squeamish.

Sponsored Links
Hi Xe

K, we have checked the hopper, which had no debris.

I ran a partial bath, and noted there was some splash from the pipping going into the hopper, but nothing too extreme. So when the plumber comes, it can just slightly be realigned.

At the bottom in the gully, the grid was clear of debris too (very few trees drop their load near the houses). The water doesn't appear to 'sit' in the drain, so it doesn't appear to be a small blockage.

As a result of this investigation, does this mean the problem is underneath the ground / cellar window? Could the damage have been caused by the earthquake and with all this extra rain, the problems are now making itself known? As no underground works have been done around the house in over 10years.

If this is the prob, under which heading in the yella pages, do find the correct problem solver which will not cost me a fortune? OR (fingers crossed) the problem belongs to the insurance people?

Thanks, from a stumped person
M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back