Thermal Store Heating System Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
This is my first post so be gentle :oops: . I have a Albion Mainsflow Thermal Store Unit with a potterton bolier. The Thermal store has developed a fault, the expansion tank keeps filling and so overflows constantly . I have been told that the cylinder may be leaking internally and so i need a new one :( :( .
Does this sound correct, is my cylinder leaking ????. Is there any way of testing for sure before i go and replace it???.
Im thinking of replacing the whole system if i have to buy a new cylinder, i really need the space that the thermal store takes in the bedroom, baby imminent :D :D .
Should i start agian, new boiler - without the cylinder, replace the thermal store and put it in the loft??.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Nick

Sponsored Links
You must first make sure that your ball valve on the header tank is not passing.

Then you could switch off the cold supply to the thermal store for a period of time, say overnight and see if the header tank still overflows.

This would then prove if the coil was pinholed or not.

As for a combi v thermal store you must make sure you get a decent one,
high output worcester, vaillant or viessman or you will never again see the flow of hotwater that you have now.

You can still use the exsisting rads and pipework to them but they will need a flush out and some alterations to the associated pipework done.

Hi
Really appreciate your quick reply, i have changed the ball valve, will try switching off the cold supply.
What worcester would you recommend, (small 2 bed, 9 year old house)?.
Have you any idea of cost difference between buying a new thermal store and a 'good' worcester bolier?

Again thanks for your help,

Nick

Hi
Really appreciate your quick reply, i have changed the ball valve, will try switching off the cold supply.
What worcester would you recommend, (small 2 bed, 9 year old house)?.
Have you any idea of cost difference between buying a new thermal store and a 'good' worcester bolier?

Again thanks for your help,

Nick

Combis are rated by DHW flowrate. They modulate the burner down for CH. For that size house I would go for an Atmos Intergas combi. A quality product that will just not go wrong. It has a weather compensator so buy the outside sensor and buy an OpenTherm room temp senor/controller. This modulates the burner to the dictates of the house heat load.

It will be a lesser flowrate than the thermal store, so slower in bath fills, but you will not look back.

Higher flowrates? The Mikrofill Ethos at 54 kW and gives 22 litres/min. Again it has the same control as the Atmos: weather compensation and OpenTherm protocol. This will outperform the Albion thermal store in DHW flowrate.

Sponsored Links
Or wait for the Worcester Highflow 550 expected to be available later this year. 25l/m.

Hi guys
I think i have a faulty cylinder, so i have 2 options
1) replace cylinder with 'like' for 'like' replacement.
2) because the cylinder and boiler are over 10 years, replace both and put a combi bolier? (save cylinder space).
The only problem i have is identifying my cylinder, i have spoke to albion's technical :D , and sales who have given me different part number. I have attached a few photos, can anybody recommend what this cylinder is a replacement?.
Many thanks
Nick

If your boiler is in good condition the best solution would be to replace the store with a Megaflow type of unvented as this will give you the good hot water you are accustomed to.

But an unvented needs to be properly fitted by someone holding the G3 Certificate.

Tony

If you isolated the cold water into the cylinder (left of cable on floor), does the cylinder overflow?

Keep it simple. Do not jump in feet first.

Guys

Thanks for the quick response, really appreciate it. I will try isolating the cold water tonight.
Agile i have just looked at the megflow, there are various different types of cylinders, do i need to know the spec of mine so that i can get a cost for a 'like' for 'like' replacement?. At least these have a 25 year cylinder gaurantee. when i asked about the albion, i was told 10 years is about correct :eek: :eek: .
Do you think it would be more cost effective, to replace the cylinder and boiler with a combi (if needed fit a pump for the shower pressure), as they are both 10 years old??.
Again thanks for your help
cheers
nick

The Megaflow is a slightly different unit compared with a thermal store.

We know nothing about your boiler.

As always the advice would be to get a competent installer to visit and advise you when he can see your installation.

Tony

you cant have a pump for the shower as all your taps are connected to the mains, I would agree with agile on the unvented option. the only problem maybe getting the discharge pipe installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back