Thermal Store thermostat wiring. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post so be patient and understanding
Just moved into a house with a thermal store ch and dhw system. It’s supplied by an oil fired boiler and wood burning stove.
The system is working but not well so I thought I’d check it over. I’m convinced the wiring on the two thermostats are wrong
The tank thermostat looks like this
1EB1EA9F-1F03-4A2B-B958-8B9CBC2C5CC6.jpeg

so the stat is connect to com and 2 should it be set to com and 1. This stat is set to 65c. The water doesn’t get that hot. I suspect because the stat on the boiler is too low
The other stat is on the return pipe to the wood burning stove
A631AC26-1F31-40C6-AF11-A9109BA539BC.jpeg

my understanding is this one turns ON the circulating pump when the stove is producing heat to ensure the
Burner doesn’t boil the water.
so this should be com and 2 and set around 60c

can someone either confirm my ideas or shoot me down.
I had a plumber look at he put he wanted to take out the whole system and replace because he thinks the thermal store and wood burner rarely works well. He didn’t take the covers off the stats

If it relevant the controller is a Honeywell evohome system but with only1 zone

thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
What do these thermostats control?
What is under the plastic cover to the left of the stat on the thermal store?

What do these thermostats control?
What is under the plastic cover to the left of the stat on the thermal store?
The tank stat seems to go to the boiler. right hand pair
The pipe stat goes to a circulating pump middle pair
B34756D8-B9B1-449C-9EE0-F61C0A672EBA.jpeg

Sorry the other device is simply a water temperature sensor for the controller.

Sponsored Links
Is there any other hardware attached to the woodburner (like a loading valve)? That stat on the return to the woodburner MAY be part of condensation control- you'd usually have it in series with another stat on the flow from the woodburner connected so that the pump circulating through the woodburner only runs when both pipes reach 50 deg c by gravity.
That setup looks neat and tidy, see if you can find any info on the installing company - if so get them back in, the plumber you've spoken to is quite likely a boiler slinger not a heating engineer.
EDIT COM, 1 and 2 aren't that useful as descriptions (unless there's a diagram showing, for instance COM-1 being made if temp is below setpoint, COM-2 being made if temp is above setpoint.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back