Thermostat overriding the programmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody - I've searched google and the last 10 ten pages on here and haven't seen anything similar to this, can someone help?

I have just purchased a house which has a Danfoss FP715 2 channel programmer and a Danfoss thermostat in the living room (the boiler is in a cupboard in the living room). I have set up the times I want the central heating / hot water to come on, and the hot water comes on fine when required. However, the boiler does not fire up when the central heating program starts (although the red light on the programmer indicates it is on) unless the thermostat temperature is set to a higher temperature. Conversely if the programmer says the central heating isn't on (red light is off), the central heating remains on if the thermostat temperature is set at "x" degrees. So as it stands the thermostat is the on / off for the central heating for the whole house. Ideally I'd like it so the thermostat is set at the temperature we want the living room to be at and not controlling whether it's on for the rest of the house... and also I'd like to not have to run downstairs every morning to turn the thermostat up to get it working (nor have to leave it on all night!)

Any suggestions? (I hope it isn't worded too badly!)

Cheers guys,

Paul

Sponsored Links
This is exactly one of the problems with my Ideal boiler - it doesn't fire when the heating comes on. Boiler comes on but no burner.

I have an added problem in that my boiler is in the garage....I've trotted in there at 6am every morning this week to get the thing to reset (without succes).

I know I don't have the answer for you but I'll keep an eye on your post to see if one of my problems can be sorted too!! Best wishes and I hope that someone on here can offer you some advice.

Good luck with heating engineers if you call one out. I'm onto my 4th visit.

Probably how it's wired up Paul.

Perhaps a clear pic or two showing inside wiring center etc

Thank you - I will try and get some pictures up tonight.

Sponsored Links
Here's the pictures (taken on iPhone so sorry for huge size)

1nIWr.jpg

i4eAK.jpg

Have you got a mid position valve or 2 x 2 port valves.

Thanks for getting back to me doitall. I have this:

KkXUz.jpg

XLoIf.jpg

KFiqw.jpg
[/img]

Sorry for the ignorance!

Yes I'd figured that part out, what is the make on the actuator :confused: HSA 3 ?

Can you trace the two bottom wires in 4. and the two wires in 11.

When you get a nice wiring box like the Danfoss I wounder why they don't follow the schematic.

Not actually sure there's is a problem.

The programmer calls for heat.

The room stat controls how much heat, but it only controls the room its in.

It's a Grundfos - part number 96281422.

The brown and white wires go from number 4 go into the danfoss valve as below:

Hgvmb.jpg

To this

kebYT.jpg

The red wire from number 11 goes back into the wire box (at top). Then the brown wire goes from 11 into the programmer into the "L"

67Zii.jpg

To this

7UJms.jpg

Thing is though I want the programmer to dictate when the central heating comes on, not the thermostat in the living room to be the on / off switch for the entire house. At the moment it dictates the whole house's heating, not just the living room.

The room stat can only control the room it's fitted in, the rest of the house has to follow orders.

You could get an RF stat, similar to the Honeywell DT92E or a programmable stat like the DT927 then you can move it about to where you need to control the heat.

Have you got Thermostatic radiator valves on all the rads other than the room with the stat.

I'll look into those other stats. Thanks.

Yes got thermo valves in all rooms other than living room.

So if the rads are sized correctly the TRVs should control the house.

I have the 901 RF stat, and at night I take it to bed and control that room at 19c, then in the morning it 21c and it goes in the office or lounge.

Yes that's what I thought but even when every thermo valve is set to maximum the central heating doesn't come on, unless the one in the living room "asks" for it.

Hence the cold mornings even though its programmed to come on at half five.

Thats why I take mine to bed and stand it on the side, the bedroom and bathroom being the two coldest rooms in the house.

Excellent sounds like that's the solution. Any recommendations as to where to get it from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back