THERMOSTATIC DIVERTER VALVE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if its possible to purchase a thermostatic diverter valve capable of operating at temperatures up to 95°C? The reason behind it is a solar heating system which goes into stagnation and causes damage to components - we want to divert the flow at 90°c and send it through a radiator to loose the excess heat before it rejoins the solar loop. At temperatures less than 90°c the radiator loop would be closed. thanks for any suggestions

Gareth

Sponsored Links
GARETH1978 said:
Can anyone tell me if its possible to purchase a thermostatic diverter valve capable of operating at temperatures up to 95°C? The reason behind it is a solar heating system which goes into stagnation and causes damage to components - we want to divert the flow at 90°c and send it through a radiator to loose the excess heat before it rejoins the solar loop. At temperatures less than 90°c the radiator loop would be closed. thanks for any suggestions

Gareth

Your having a laugh ,right ?. :LOL:

You can certainly get thermostats and electrically operated valves like rad valves which you could use. But you seriously don't want a rad at over 80°.

Sounds bit of a DIY or C*** solar heating system. All should prevent this from happening eg drain back system, or be able to cope with it as in a pressurised system :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
GARETH1978 said:

Gareth

The problem you are having is simply because the cylinder is undersized for the panel.

doitall said:
GARETH1978 said:

Gareth

The problem you are having is simply because the cylinder is undersized for the panel.

You would need a massive storage cylinder to store the heat output from solar panels which are sized to provide heating to a property during the heating season but are operating during the summer season so the energy is not used anyway.

Question for Doitall.
How do we store the massive energy capable of being generated in the summer period for use during winter period. ?
Answers on a post stamp please. ;)

A simple search on google will reveal this is a fundamental problem with all solar systems. The problem with sizing a solar system is that you need to make it attractive to the customer through out the year i.e savings all year. Gasf4you - stick with the gas mate, drainback systems are notoriously inefficent and have a ridiculously short life span. Balenzabag what can I say helpful as ever?

I would never contemplate fitting a drain back system. I only specify vaillants pressurised systems that are designed to take account of the excess temp during any stagnation period ;)

GARETH1978 wrote

The problem with sizing a solar system is that you need to make it attractive to the customer through out the year i.e savings all year.

Size it for HW needs. Thats as far as you need go.

Are you an installer or a salesman ?.

If he was a BPEC qualified installer registered with clear skies then he would not have had to post his original question :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
If he was a BPEC qualified installer registered with clear skies then he would not have had to post his original question :rolleyes:

I agree. Diyer then. :(
But could still be a salesman. :cool:

Whats thats saying about if you have nothing useful to say then don't say anything at all? Balenzabag & gas4u I'm sure someone somewhere will be asking what size olive for a 22mm compression fitting - perhaps this is within your scope!

Balenza said:
gas4you said:

I agree. Diyer then. :(
But could still be a salesman. :cool:

Sorry whats the name of this site again balenzabag?

Balenza said:
doitall said:
GARETH1978 said:

Gareth

You would need a massive storage cylinder to store the heat output from solar panels which are sized to provide heating to a property during the heating season but are operating during the summer season so the energy is not used anyway.

Question for Doitall.
How do we store the massive energy capable of being generated in the summer period for use during winter period. ?
Answers on a post stamp please. ;)

Well ballski I would never install solar for heating anyway.

We install flat panels filled with 50% glycol, properly designed and fine tuned to suit the occupancy demand, you can guarantee 85% of the hot water requirements in the summer and 35% during the winter.

The bigger the cylinder the better the system.

For heating you will not beat a heat pump, and if your at the Bath and West show next week I'll show you the only working model, hell I might even explain how they work :LOL:

Oooops not next week, it starts on the 3oth May :LOL:

GARETH1978 said:
Whats thats saying about if you have nothing useful to say then don't say anything at all? Balenzabag & gas4u I'm sure someone somewhere will be asking what size olive for a 22mm compression fitting - perhaps this is within your scope!

If I thought you new what you were talking about then I woulkd tell you how to do it. You obviously don't realise the risks involved with such high temperatures, when stagnation occurs in a pressurised system you can be dealing with the equivalent of super heated steam.

Stick to your meccano set, at least you can only cut your finger or bend your fingernail back :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back