Thermostatic Mixer Shower Help Needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hopefully someone is able to answer these questions / offer advice?

I'm looking to buy 2 new thermostatic mixer showers for our en suites. These are the type of showers we currently have so I don't expect it to be too much effort to swap them over?

I need advice on shower flow rate if possible. I've got no idea what the flow rate is of our current showers (they are both Triton and have been in the house since it was build approx 10 years ago) and have seen showers I like with anything between 5/6Ltrs/min up to 15Ltrs/min.

What I need to know is, does it make THAT much difference? Obviously I'd like it as powerful as possible, but does this mean I should go for the higher flow rate? Also, if a shower has a flow rate of 15Ltrs/min, would that mean I would need to use it with a pump (which we do not currently have) to optimize the flow rate?

Many thanks,

Ben.

Sponsored Links
The flow rate depends on the water pressure/flow available at the shower valve, not the type of valve itself. To increase it you would have to alter the plumbing, such as installing a pump.

The flow rate depends on the water pressure/flow available at the shower valve, not the type of valve itself. To increase it you would have to alter the plumbing, such as installing a pump.
Thanks. So, it's probably better to go for a shower with a lower flow rate if I don't have a pump?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. So, it's probably better to go for a shower with a lower flow rate if I don't have a pump?
This depends on the flow rate you have available
Over the course of a minute measure how much water comes out of your shower
Catch it in a bucket then measure how many litres
That will give you your litres/minute
Then you can buy accordingly

nortonj";p="3319845 said:
This depends on the flow rate you have available
Over the course of a minute measure how much water comes out of your shower
Catch it in a bucket then measure how many litres
That will give you your litres/minute
Then you can buy accordingly[/quote
Thanks

OK, done that. Current flow rate is 6Ltrs/min.

So from what you guys are saying, buying a shower with a higher flow rate will not increase it?

No. Although maybe the shower head is restricting the flow you could take it off and measure directly from the outlet. May be more accurate.

OK, flow rate is 9Ltrs/min without the shower head and hose attached. So basically I need to buy a shower with a similar flow rate? and on that basis, would a lower flow rate shower (i.e. 6Ltrs/Min) make it more powerful?

Not really, you have what you have without adding a pump.
Sometimes manufacturer s specify a minimum flow rate or between a range e.g shower is reccomended to operate between 6 and 15.

If you were to buy a shower that said 12 litres minimum flow rate required then it wouldn't really work that well as its designed to work at 12 or above

Your "thermal store thingy" works on mains pressure so I would be trying to find out why your pressure/flow is so poor.

Your "thermal store thingy" works on mains pressure so I would be trying to find out why your pressure/flow is so poor.
What would you say the average water flow rate should be? 9Ltrs/min seems to be within the average range of the showers I'm looking at? Lowest being 5 highest I've seen is 15...

Not really, you have what you have without adding a pump.
Sometimes manufacturer s specify a minimum flow rate or between a range e.g shower is reccomended to operate between 6 and 15.

If you were to buy a shower that said 12 litres minimum flow rate required then it wouldn't really work that well as its designed to work at 12 or above
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back