Thermostatic valve position.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope this is not a daft question. Can I put the thermostat on either side of the rad or does it have to be on the feed side?

I seem to remember my plumber saying that on micro bore it did not matter. The system I have is a feed and return loop connected to a combi.

Sponsored Links
Best practice is to put the TRV on the flow side (i.e. the radiator tail that warms up first) but you can purchase TRV's that can be fitted on either side, some that have an adjustable valve on the top, some are fit and forget, so to speak!!

Thanks,

Are you saying that if I want to fit the valve on the outgoing side I need to buy a specific type?

If fitting a TRV on the return then you need a bi-directional TRV, the body will have arrow's pointing in either direction.

I always try to fit TRV's on the flow.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

trouble is the pipes run under the floor and I am unsure of which is the flow and return.

The whole system is drained at the moment and I did not want to fill it only to find that the valve was on the wrong side and then have to drain and refill again. The TRV I have is bi-directional are there any issues with fitting it on the return. I have a 50-50 chance of getting it right anyway!

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back