This is a leak... right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all- frequent lurker, sadly I’ve had to actually ask a question now as I’ve got a leak... I think... somewhere.

I hope links are allowed- to fully explain the situation I uploaded a quick video to YouTube:

If viewing that isn’t possible, please see attached photo of part of my kitchen. Cupboards either side of a fridge, the water dispenser / ice machine in the fridge are plumbed into the mains somehow (this was left here when we bought the house back in March of this year).

Tonight there’s been a hissing noise for a few hours now coming from within the wall above the left hand cupboard. I’m not 100% sure where the pipes go, other than to the fridge.

If I turn the stopcock off... the noise stops. Run the water dispenser in the fridge, the taps downstairs, the taps upstairs, the shower upstairs... running any of them stops the ‘hissing’ noise, whilst the taps are running.

This very specific location is the only place in the house the noise is coming from, so my questions are:
1) this is a leak, right!?
2) this is the only place in the house making noise- is the leak therefore located here?

Any tips / advice most welcome!

Thanks

Attachments

• 0AAA7915-1E0C-4D30-B1B5-BE1479151773.jpeg
    0AAA7915-1E0C-4D30-B1B5-BE1479151773.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
Are you on a water meter?
If so, turn everything off in the property (except main stopcock) and see if the meter is spinning.

Yes I am on a water meter. I did this last night- at 11:24 before we went to bed the last three red digits on the meter were 729, at 7:38 this morning they were 730. The black digits didn’t change at all.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately you didn't open the cupboard and see if it is louder again. I wouldn't hang about though and would be getting that double height unit out of there if there's nothing evident at the back of the fridge or around the external filter if there is one.

Unfortunately you didn't open the cupboard and see if it is louder again. I wouldn't hang about though and would be getting that double height unit out of there if there's nothing evident at the back of the fridge or around the external filter if there is one.

I can still hear the noise, don’t need to open the cupboard. I’ll take the cupboards around the fridge apart as soon as I can if I can’t see where the leak is coming from when I move the fridge.

Ah gotcha, I never thought to check whether it was louder inside than out (although I’m sure I had the cupboard doors open at some points, and the sound was about the same). I’ve not lived in this place long and didn’t put the fridge in myself, so have no idea how to best get at the area behind the fridge- guess I’ll be starting by emptying and moving it!

Tonight there’s been a hissing noise for a few hours now coming from within the wall above the left hand cupboard. I’m not 100% sure where the pipes go, other than to the fridge.
Tbh,if you suspect a water leak and its your responsibility please call in a plumber.You may even have some bundled plumbing insurance cover in existence.
If the noise is not a water leak.The photo shows a recent installation maybe some warranty is in place,have you asked the fridge manufacture :?:
should be an easy onsite diagnosis.

Got one of them appliances (although with a different badge name) it makes many different varying noises,put it down to the environment it operates in ie in a warmer climate :)

Tbh,if you suspect a water leak and its your responsibility please call in a plumber.You may even have some bundled plumbing insurance cover in existence.
If the noise is not a water leak.The photo shows a recent installation maybe some warranty is in place,have you asked the fridge manufacture :?:
should be an easy onsite diagnosis.

Got one of them appliances (although with a different badge name) it makes many different varying noises,put it down to the environment it operates in ie in a warmer climate :)

Old&Cold, I salute you. Hadn’t even crossed my mind. Log into the my home insurance providers website, view welcome pack, & there it is under - “benefits of your current policy” — “cover for trace and access of leaks £5,000”.

Time to call the insurance company :)

Yes I am on a water meter. I did this last night- at 11:24 before we went to bed the last three red digits on the meter were 729, at 7:38 this morning they were 730. The black digits didn’t change at all.

With those readings I don't think you have a leak... I think it's the appliance making ice.

With those readings I don't think you have a leak... I think it's the appliance making ice.

Ice ice baby
Ice ice baby
All right stop
Collaborate and listen
Ice is back with my brand new invention
Something grabs a hold of me tightly
Then I flow that a harpoon daily and nightly
Will it ever stop?
Yo, I don't know
Turn off the lights and I'll glow
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

Andy

I’ve found it! Took the double height unit on the left out, and the culprit was right there in front of me! It’s not a pipe, it’s the water filter! See images attached.

They have the exact same item on amazon for £13

Happy days.

Attachments

• 75ED32EC-7222-423F-A1B6-F2896EB276EA.jpeg
    75ED32EC-7222-423F-A1B6-F2896EB276EA.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 143
  • 0548B7D9-C294-49B4-A1E4-7D41479C0A43.jpeg
    0548B7D9-C294-49B4-A1E4-7D41479C0A43.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 3E3B8A62-4FBC-47DB-9C1A-8938C639266F.jpeg
    3E3B8A62-4FBC-47DB-9C1A-8938C639266F.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff ... glad you got to the bottom of it. Is there an ISO valve upstream of that filter? There really should be if not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back