This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So why, have I done some thing wrong, I know some forums do it with all posts, DIY Doctor for example, however it is a double edged thing, as if vetted first, if I have made an error, then the sysop is responsible for not catching the error. No other electrician can correct error as they can't see the post. So as time moves on there is less and less chance of other electricians seeing my post and highlighting errors.

Sponsored Links
I think it happens if you include mathematic formulae, symbols, possibly foreign text.

perhaps because it looks like foreign spam.

It seems to just happen sometimes.
It does, and it seems that the software which singles out posts for such treatment is very unpredictable (and not seemingly very logical) in what posts it 'pounces upon'!

I've had it happen with very short and simple posts, which contain nothing that one can imagine could be considered in any way 'contentious'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think what TTC May have meant is that Eric’s posts sometimes can be weighty tomes!

I think what TTC May have meant is that Eric’s posts sometimes can be weighty tomes!
Possibly - but, being a little paranoid, (and since his post immediately followed mine) I thought he might have been at least partially referring to some of my "weighty tomes" (which have been known to compete in size with eric's!). However, as I said, the software police have been known to intercept some very brief and innocuous ones which I have posted!

Mind you, this is a reminder of how just a little quote could clarify who someone is talking about :)

Kind Regards, John

Possibly - but, being a little paranoid, (and since his post immediately followed mine) I thought he might have been at least partially referring to some of my "weighty tomes" (which have been known to compete in size with eric's!). However, as I said, the software police have been known to intercept some very brief and innocuous ones which I have posted!

Mind you, this is a reminder of how just a little quote could clarify who someone is talking about :)

Kind Regards, John

Well this fast turned from some light hearted comments into a "why so serious" moment!

Well this fast turned from some light hearted comments into a "why so serious" moment!
I would suggest that your few days' experience of this forum has not yet been enough for you to gain a proper understanding of what is regarded as "seripus" around here! If you stay around, you will learn :)

having said that, the final sentence of my words that you quoted are fairly serious, since we commonly see misunderstandings resulting from lack of clarity as to whom a post is directed or referring. That's a particular issue when, as in this thread, a comment without any quote/reference is posted immediately after one to which it does not relate.

Kind Regards, John

I would suggest that your few days' experience of this forum has not yet been enough for you to gain a proper understanding of what is regarded as "seripus" around here! If you stay around, you will learn :)

having said that, the final sentence of my words that you quoted are fairly serious, since we commonly see misunderstandings resulting from lack of clarity as to whom a post is directed or referring. That's a particular issue when, as in this thread, a comment without any quote/reference is posted immediately after one to which it does not relate.

Kind Regards, John

This forum just so you know is no different to any other forum out there that I follow or post on , they all follow similar patterns and have similar characters on there, ranging from the ones who take the **** right down to the ones who can't take the **** or become paranoid that posts are being directed at them when it's clear it's not and get all worked up about words on a screen

As for me? I like to wind people up and help where I can but I much prefer helping out in real life, and if somebody trys to turn keyboard warrior on me it's very easy for me to ignore it and get on with my life

This forum just so you know is no different to any other forum out there that I follow or post on , they all follow similar patterns and have similar characters on there, ranging from the ones who take the **** right down to the ones who can't take the **** or become paranoid that posts are being directed at them when it's clear it's not and get all worked up about words on a screen
That's all very true - and, having been participating in, and involved in the running of, countless forums since long before 'the internet' was born, you don't need to tell me that :)

However, it sounds as if you may have misunderstood my specific comment. I was not talking about people who "become paranoid that posts are being directed at them when it's clear it's not" but, much more generally in relation to perfectly reasonable posts as part of a discussion which may be difficult to put into context (i.e. understand to whom/what the comments are responding), because of the absence of quotes/references (or,sometimes, the absence of relevant emoticons).

In any event, no-one in this particular thread got paranoid or 'wound up' by any of the light-hearted comments.

As a purely personal thing, I always wait until I have become appreciably involved with (and 'known in') a new forum before I start posting any comments about what goes on in the particular forum :)

Kind Regards, John

Now I am thinking the weighty tomes was aimed at you!

Next you're gonna be wanting us to get our d**** out so you can measure who has the longest

You clearly didn't read the part where I said I like to wind people up

You clearly didn't read the part where I said I like to wind people up
I did (and I often 'wind up' people, too, when I know them), but maybe you didn't read the part where I said that, at least speaking for myself, I would not start behaving like that when I had just joined a new forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back