This should not be possible right!?

An 'average person' is also likely to put a metal light switch at a switch point with no earth......this is more dangerous than the improbable circumstances you're postulating imo.

Sponsored Links
The idea of shaver sockets is that they can be used with shavers from anywhere in the world in hotel rooms. That is why they have universal sockets and also two of them for either 120 or 240 volts approx. Also note the regulation on the transformers in them is poor. On low load the output is typically 140 and 275 volts. For this reason if charging toothbrushes etc with 100 to 240 volt input capacity I will always use the 120 v socket.
Maybe the ones with a designated tooth brush symbol are better, I have not checked.

Sponsored Links
What if some one has a cheap Chinese shaver socket in their bathroom with no isolating transformer
Good point.

I assume one of these would be OK though, as it's not a cheap Chinese one:

41qU7SDmqgL._SY300_.jpg

:?:

The idea of shaver sockets is that they can be used with shavers from anywhere in the world in hotel rooms. That is why they have universal sockets and also two of them for either 120 or 240 volts approx. Also note the regulation on the transformers in them is poor. On low load the output is typically 140 and 275 volts. For this reason if charging toothbrushes etc with 100 to 240 volt input capacity I will always use the 120 v socket.
Maybe the ones with a designated tooth brush symbol are better, I have not checked.

I once believed this too. However, in USA and Europe, the socket in the bathroom is just a standard local mains outlet with no transformer. The shaver socket is a British thing. If you want to shave electrically in another country, take an adapter.

I once believed this too. However, in USA and Europe, the socket in the bathroom is just a standard local mains outlet with no transformer. The shaver socket is a British thing. If you want to shave electrically in another country, take an adapter.

Indeed but there no need to lower our standards to those of the less informed. I have seen UK type shaver outlets in Australian hotels though.

I use hotel bathroom shaver points to charge my handheld walkie talkie\radio - seems to work ok

Although I place the radio above the sink not in it. :giggle:

I do not know a single person, and never have, that has owned a mains shaver.
I think they all were, originally, weren't they (mains, no batteries)? If pretty sure that the ones I had back in the 60s/70s were - I'm not even sure that small rechargeable batteries (as opposed to lead-acid ones) even existed in those days, did they?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back