Thorn Apollo Heat Exchanger...........

sorry to you dudes if your getting wound up by my questions, i just wanna know if its poss to flush the apollo heat exchanger to cleat out the lime scale......the old girl has been in the house 20 years plus, but the water is well hot and the rads the same...........i want to recycle this unit not chuck it out..........so if i can flush the rubbish out the HEX....it would be great...........or there will be another boiler in a landfill..........i dont want that...............

Sponsored Links
We dont get wound up by your questions.

But we do get wound up when you ignore our advice!

try noise reducer, take it you have gravity hot water, hence the kettling, pumping hw side may help

[quote="dcds4";p="1962242"]try noise reducer, take it you have gravity hot water, hence the kettling, pumping hw side ma]y help[/quote

Its an appolo, so unlikely. :confused:

Sponsored Links
try noise reducer, take it you have gravity hot water, hence the kettling, pumping hw side may help

I told him that just THREE minutes after he first posted on here!

But he has steadfastly ingored that advice and instead wants to illegally take his boiler apart.

If it did have gravity hot water then I would expect it would be VERY seriously kettling!

sneakyprawn - nobody has spelled out yet that you don't have separate heating water and hot water water.
It's not a combi.
It probably gets hotter doing the HW though.
Leave the high/low switch on LOW.

Don't ever take the cover off this boiler - they're dangerous boilers.

i just wanna know if its poss to flush the apollo heat exchanger to cleat out the lime scale.
NO, it's not limescale.
Just do as you're told!

Not withstanding all the above, it is worth with this boiler to check the pump impeller is clear. The flow rate through this boiler was always critical [as it is with many]

I did often find a black glass hard deposit/s blocking the impeller, seemed more prevalent with the apollo for some reason than other boilers with similar HE type.

Anyways worth a check, if all you wish is to keep it going awhile longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back