Thorn EMI Apollo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I'm talking on behalf of my mother here, our boiler is a THORM EMI Apollo must be around 19 years old or so and my mother has had the pilot light changed by plumbers several times. This is due to the fact that the pilot seems to go off, does anyone have the same boiler if so do you know how to get it working, we've tried the instructions on the boiler, push the gas valve in twisted hit the ignition and waited for ages and just goes of when you release the gas as instructed. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated as this seems to cost a lot every time :( thanks

P Simins

Sponsored Links
Assuming the pilot lights (while holding button) , does it appear to cover the end of the thermocouple?

Turn the electric supply to the boiler off, and set the boiler thermostat to 0.

push the gas control knob fully in at the same time operate the igniter button to light the pilot, hold in for 30 sec,

if the pilot does not stay alight release the gas operating button and slice in in the direction of the arrow, wait 3 mins and repeat as above.

Not all models are the same so please post your model and number

Sponsored Links
When you say twisted it, if its a grey push button gas valve it should just be pushed straight in without turning it in anyway. The Apollo has an overheat stat attached to the thermocouple that quite often goes,themocouple could also have had it, also pilot top moves out of position and flame does not hit thermocouple properly. And lastly gas valve itself may have gone.

19 year oold apollo, scrap it, new boiler time, now if you thought having the pilot replaced was expensive whoeeeeee wait till you see how much a new boiler is with all the regs in force to be complied with.

namsag said:
When you say twisted it, if its a grey push button gas valve it should just be pushed straight in without turning it in anyway. The Apollo has an overheat stat attached to the thermocouple that quite often goes,themocouple could also have had it, also pilot top moves out of position and flame does not hit thermocouple properly. And lastly gas valve itself may have gone.

You have to reset the valve on the Apollo if it shuts off, you do this as above and waiting for 3mins or untill you hear the valve click

Hey the plumber guy replaced the thermocouple and it does light but does'nt stay alight once the gas valve is left, so he said the Valve has gone and he will fit it in tommorow when he can get one does this sound realistic or "cowboy"? He also replaced the ignition to make sure it wasn't that cost £45 just for that call out charge mostly :eek: please reply

boilertroubles said:
Hey the plumber guy replaced the thermocouple and it does light but does'nt stay alight once the gas valve is left, so he said the Valve has gone and he will fit it in tommorow when he can get one does this sound realistic or "cowboy"? He also replaced the ignition to make sure it wasn't that cost £45 just for that call out charge mostly :eek: please reply

eUnless you reset the valve it wont stay on

Anyone thought to mention the thermocouple interrupter/main overheat stat????
Isn't it great when people call it a thermocoupler, just happen to shove an 'r' on the end!!!!!!!!!

Doitall the grey push button gas valve is self resetting . the arrow and twist on it is to turn it off,

Make sure the thermocouple is screwed into the gas valve properly. If a bit loose things won't work, and you get sold a new gas valve.

As dia has intimated, not ALL apollos had an "interrupter" tc, which I didn't know til I saw it on another forum recently - or was it here?!

namsag said:
Doitall the grey push button gas valve is self resetting . the arrow and twist on it is to turn it off,

No it isn't, if the pilot goes out you have to twist the knob to reset the valve.

:LOL:

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Groooooannnnnnnnn :(

My sentiments exactly pvcman.

Just how difficult can it be to turn the dam knob and wait for it to click.

Pssssssssssst let it go once you twisted it and wait about 3 minutes.
Pssssssssssst again it has an arrow to show you which way to turn it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back