Thoughts about upvc facia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been thinking about fitting cover boards to existing wooden facia on a flat roofed garage.

1. Can anyone tell me of any negative aspects of plastic facia?

2. My neigbour fitted it himself and looked good until I noticed he had black streaks running down from the bitumen. It's a flat roof and he'd pushed the cover board under the bitumen 'drips'. Where did he do wrong? can i avoid that? (I think he used silicon so may have reacted to the bitumen)

3. Am i right in thinking water could get behind and between the cover boards through the corner trims (or anywhere else) and existing wood and exelerating any wood rot
?

Ta for any advice, :)

Sponsored Links
He probably didnt get the cappit board up behind the felt drip trims far enough.
The trims would have been nailed on preventing the board being pushed up.
You would end up damaging the drip trims as they need to be pulled out.
There is a trim, profile shaped like a small h, which will slide up as it is thin enough, the cappit board would then push into the groove.
UPVC can be cleaned quite easy.

White plastic is crap and looks dirty very quickly. Use black or a dark colour unless you really need to use white

Make sure to repair felt at the eaves if necessaries

There are no problems with water getting behind and accelerating rot. It will just rot as normal if there are any leaks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back