three plating diagram

Nb a dremel with a stone bit does a lovely job of sharpening an sds chisel.

That's a good idea, I don't know why I hadn't though of that! Using blunt SDS chisels makes a right mess.

Sponsored Links
We also tend to loop at the switch especially on new builds before the dot and dabbers come in.
On re-wires we tend to loop at the rose.
quite a few customer now ask for just one tail drop for ease of fitting modern light fittings.

We also tend to only fit 25mm boxes to accommodate modern switches.
I have not purchased or fitted 16mm ones for ages.

I've owned 2 properties built in the 90's, and they both loop at the switch. I think its a lot easier to work with, probably because I fitted spotlights in most places!

I have seem many times where letters are used. To say fused connection unit (FCU) then continue after to call it a FCU is OK as people then know what your talking about. The RCCB, RCD, GFCI, ALCI, ELCB-c and ELCB-v must really confuse the DIY guy and to then add even more sets of letters just adds to it. QSL
I have many times said with an international Q code why do people want to add yet more sets of letters LOL.
The 10 code is of course not permitted but Q code is!
The whole forum is full of CU, FCU, RCD, RCBO and the list goes on.

When using Morse code I can understand using QTH instead of "What is your position in position" but really there is no real need with the written word. Even the international Q-Code has changed through the years I often use QRM to ask if the XYL is nagging. But son's wife is slowly learning Q-code so that will have to stop.

As to where to daisy chain from using the switch box means longer cables and no permanent line to charge the batteries on any emergency lamps. There are times when one has to do something non standard but unless there is no option the idea of having a supply non switched at the ceiling rose makes sense.

What we need is instead of a block of Smilies to left an array of short forms so we can just click on CU and it will auto type Consumer Unit. ;)

Sponsored Links
My house was built in 1988/89 and the ground floor lighting is looped at switch, upstairs looped at light. Any comments on that?

Picking up on the use of text-speak, I do not believe it should be used on a forum such as this, but abbreviations such as BTW, HTH, LOL which have been used for many years, are permissible. Text-speak very often mis-spells words, or shows other ambiguities, and on fora such as this where advice is requested, an accurate understanding is of prime importance. I do use text-speak for quick text messages, such as "pik u up l8r" or "c u l8r" but only to those people who I know will find its use acceptable.

My house was built in 1988/89 and the ground floor lighting is looped at switch, upstairs looped at light. Any comments on that?

I have also seen this a few times, it could be a different team of sparks doing the wiring.

That circuit may have been rewired.

Or access, there is more access to the upstiars light cables due to the loft.
So sparks do the downstairs hiding the cables under the floor rather than having to move many more floor boards from upstairs.

There may be more reasons, of which other will post.

One reason for this may be that downstairs has wall lights and outside lights, so one cable at these fittings is desirable.

This is not off-topic bickering, it is a perfectly reasonable request, and my position on txt speak is shared by others, at least one of whom has also posted here criticising it.

It is politely phrased, and I would ask you again, Mr Moderator, not to remove it - there is no justification for doing so. If other people get bent out of shape then they are at fault, not I.

... m8 ... u ... m8
Madmax - please use proper English when posting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back