Three way valve needs replacing?

Thanks for your reply.
The system was upgraded some years ago from a full open vented (dhw and c/h from TWO tanks in the loft, one being smaller) to the c/h having a red pressure vessel with guage, filling loops and pump all in the boiler cupboard where the 3 way valve is.
My concern is that as the dhw port from the valve feeds into the dhw pipework when I undo the old valve for removal will water come gushing out from the other side, if you get my drift?

Sponsored Links
The DHW port on the 3 way valve goes to a coil of pipework fitted inside the DHW cylinder. This is a bit like having an additional radiator sittimg in the cylinder and the amount of water in that coil will probably be less than the average radiator.

So no worries about vast amounts of water coming from there.

You will have to be prepared to drain a fair amount of water out of the system before removing the old valve and it may not be very clean water.

Thanks for your reply and help.
I`m actually draining it at the moment, it was when I came to literally mentally working through the process this morning that this potential prob occurred to me, so I put this post on and didn't think I would get any guidance this time of day so again many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Any ideas on this please?

New valve/actuator fitted, c/h-rads system filled via filling loops to 1 BAR on guage and all rads bled including two other bleed points, (pressure dropped as air was expelled but system refilled between each rad) one next to the boiler and one in the loft where the new pipework was routed 8 years ago.

Fired up boiler and dhw heats fine with the c/h port and pipework from valve not heating up (as it was with the old valve) but the c/h wont fire up. The boiler light comes on and the c/h pipework from the valve warms up but the boiler wont fire. Nothing happens apart from a lot of hissing/gurgling from the pipework. Sounds like air but the guage is still on 1 BAR with no movement.

Any ideas please?

Mick

I think and hope all is ok now. I bled the rads again and even though there was only a very small amount of air from one the boiler and c/h now fires up and runs ok, (could this have been an air lock somewhere?) I`ll leave you helpful folks alone now.

Many thanks to all.

Mick

It will take time for air in heating system to clear up. Be patient.

If you can get DHW or CH or both at same time ok, then all good.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back