Tile paint/ transfers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are they any good? I'm decorating my first house and have got round to the bathroom and loo. They are both completely tiled with white tiles which is great, only there is a row of ugly burgundy flower tiles round the middle. Basically I want to cover them up somehow and have seen tile paint and transfers but wanted to see if anyone else has used either before I start as I really don't want it to end up like something of off changing rooms! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Tile paint looks a bit, well...... like someone's painted tiles. It can chip and peel away if you knock it.
Transfers, in my opinion look like a child's been playing in the bathroom.

Why don't you remove the offending tiles and replace them with either white tiles or a different contrasting tile?

Ok, is it possible to do that without breaking or removing any of the existing white tiles?

Of course. I find the easiest way is to make a big + on the tile with an angle grinder. Then carefully chisel the tile away in sections. Start in the middle of the tile (you can make another cut in the centre of the tile to get you started) for the first one, then from the revealed edge on the next tiles.

You need to make sure that the tiles you replace them with are the same size. i.e. if the tiles are old they might be 6" x 6", if you use 150mm x 150mm tile to replace them with then you're going to have a wider grout line because 150mm x 150mm are slightly smaller than 6" x 6".

Sponsored Links
*gets scared*

OK well the tiles are the rectangular ones you get for borders which I know you can buy everywhere (without ugly burgundy flowers on them lol!) but I'm a bit concerned about trying this myself. Will have a rethink.

Thanks for your help. :D

Not many have grinder, so just drill a chain of small holes in the middle and chisel from there ;)

Or no drill ?

a hammer an masonary nail ,hit in middle of tile an then nibble outwards with nail under tile to edge of tile , ;)
with new tile if bigger you can get a cheap tile scorer an snap break them over a corner /edge , becareful of edges =SHARPE !!!!!! :)
then do the other end ....

or buy a proper cutter an tools :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back