tiling adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey,

im about to lay ceramic tiles on concrete floor.
i got my adhesive from B&Q, rapid set. should be putting it down on the wkend.

quick question, the guy at B&Q told me the trowel i needed to use was the 9mm round notches for floor tiles, which is what i purchased. but reading the adhesive pack it says use 3-5mm notched trowel.

which would be better?????

also the concrete floor is dusty and iv mopped it a couple of times. should i put down a PVA mix or should i mop it again

PS. sorry lynda

post split, see forum rule 20

Sponsored Links
Use one of the thick bed trowels (half round notches) as suggested by the shop, a 3mm notch is for mosaics and the like on a very smooth & even surface.

Don't use PVA, use wateever the adhesive manufacturer suggests for friable dusty surfaces.

Jason

thanks for the reply jason, much appreciated.

the manufacturer hasnt recommended anything for a dust surface, rather just make sure the surfaceis clean and free of dust.

i thought i read on one of the previous tthat if the surface is dusty put down a coat of PVA and water mix before tiling. having said that i couldnt find the post no matter how hard i tried so i could be mistaken.

any ideas?

thanks again

The adhesive pack won't mention tiling onto dusty surfaces because you never do that. What it might say is that porous surfaces should be primed. If it does it should recommend a primer.

Sponsored Links
bonus, thanks alot gcol. i thought id read it somewhere. its on the pack that it says prime porous surfaces with 1 part PVA diluted with 5 parts water and allow to dry.

sorry 4 wasting ur time guys. replys were appreciated. :D thanks again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back