Tiling around the bath, not 90 degree big gap, help !?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
i have tiled the wall in my bathroom but the wall isnt straight and theres a big gap. This is just above the shower and needs to be properly sealed.

Anyone have any ideas, when it was plastered i should have got him to pull the wall out. is the only option to pull the tiles out and then fill with loads of grout. luckily a shower screen need to be fixed there so i could get away with it but lots of work. any ideas ?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
:eek:
Blardy hell!
I think I'd be looking to chisel out the wall under the tiles so the bath could be moved into the wall to lose that gap. DON'T try to fill it.

gcol said:
:eek:
Blardy hell!
I think I'd be looking to chisel out the wall under the tiles so the bath could be moved into the wall to lose that gap. DON'T try to fill it.

I agree, cut out the wall and slide the bath a little of the way in.

hmm sliding the bath isnt an option, the waste for the toilet is under there :( and its already a tight fit

Sponsored Links
Hi , the mozaic tile doesnt help to straigten out a wall,it should have been fixed 1st ......Try taking bath back out and dig the wall 1/2 of the depth of gap then silicone accordingly ...dont use trims.
welsh said:
Hello,
i have tiled the wall in my bathroom but the wall isnt straight and theres a big gap. This is just above the shower and needs to be properly sealed.

Anyone have any ideas, when it was plastered i should have got him to pull the wall out. is the only option to pull the tiles out and then fill with loads of grout. luckily a shower screen need to be fixed there so i could get away with it but lots of work. any ideas ?

thanks in advance

That gap looks about 1" at it's widest - it'd be too wide to fill even if it was 1/2" (unless you like the poor finish look). So you can't move the bath because of the toilet waste? You can get flexible toilet wastes you know.
If the wall ain't gonna come to the bath, then the bath has gotta go to the wall.
Oh and before anyone mentions them, forget about those awful sealing strips you can buy too.

if i moved the bath into the wall that way then i would have the same gap at the other end. the bath fits exactly inbetween two walls. :(

Here's another idea .... slacken all the brackets and legs half way , then screw the bracket at the bad end half woy in , you will be left with half the gap each end, you might still need to do a sall bit digging at the bottom right side ,then retighten everything back up, it will look even when siliconed up.
welsh said:
Hello,

thanks in advance

We had a similar gap at the end of our bath and unfortunately no way of moving bath. The previous owners had used a strip along the end which was pretty horrible. We tiled over it! This might not be so easy because you have small tiles, but we filled the gap with cardboard and then levelled it with silicon sealant. This created a flat surface, but did not look like a particularly great finish. I then cut tiles so that they lay on top of the silicon and decreased at an angle gradually all the way along so that it isn't noticable to the eye. The other tip i would give as this surface was a little flexible due to the use of cardboard and silicon was that we used silicon sealant as the adhesive between tile and surface. This has worked a treat, is completely waterproof, and looks good (only to be used for a few tiles mind!).
This is obviously not the advice you would get from a professional but it certainly doesn't look like a botch up job when finished! The only problem you might have is that the tiles are smaller and so will have less resistance if alot of pressure is applied from above.

cheers mws1 that sounds pretty good, do you have ant pictures of this? sorry to be a pain but would be nice to see the finished article :)

will post a piccy when sorted, getting soeone over sunday for a brain storming session

Will try and get some pics organised. How did you insert pics into your text?

29562360@N00

Hopefully the pics have worked. If not just have a look at the following link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/29562360@N00/?deleted=167552656).
The tile at the left is 4.4cm deep, and tile on far right is 3cm deep to take into account change in gap size along width of bath. The tiles were cut at an angle all the way along to take this into account.

Ah, now I understand what you were getting at.
I don't think that's something I'd ever entertain doing though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back