tiling on wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: I am a very keen lady DIY and have done loads and had good comments.

In my kitchen I have wallpaper in the plasterboard walls and instead of taking the wallpaper off can I tile straight on to it if I PVA it first. I have never tiled over wallpaper as my previous place had all plastered walls.

PlEASE PLEASE HELP as this is my easter break project which has been waiting to do for 8 months :(

I will be very :D if someone could reply

regards

Tracy

Sponsored Links
Hi there IJWS15

What is the best way of taking the wallpaper off plasterboard walls, I am use to taking wallpaper off with a steamer.

Do I still have to PVA once the wallpaper is off.

Sorry to ask these questions as I have never come across this problem before, the window sill is concrete so that is fine I know how to handle that but wallpaper NO.

Thank you for any assistance you can give

:LOL:

whats behind the paper is it fininshing plaster or can you see if its just plasterboard well worth a look if poss

Sponsored Links
Hi there IJWS15
What is the best way of taking the wallpaper off plasterboard walls, I am use to taking wallpaper off with a steamer.
That’s fine but don’t leave the steamer in one place too long, if you overheat the plaster skim you will blow it off the wall. Make sure you wash the walls well afterwards to remove residue wallpaper paste. Is the plasterboard skimmed with plaster? if not, you may find steaming the paper off will damage the boards if it's not been sealed.
Hi there IJWS15
Do I still have to PVA once the wallpaper is off.
DO NOT use PVA when tiling; always follow the adhesive manufacturers instructions but if you need to prime a tile base use an SBR based primer
Thank you for any assistance you can give
Read both the tiling sticky;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77709
& Tiling Forum archive posts;

Its just Plasterboard, like all the rooms in the house. :(
The British Gypsum 'white paper' for tiling on plasterboard states that tiling straight on to plasterboard is strongest. So bare plasterboard is a good thing in this case. :)

If the tiles are going to get splashed then they say to use 2 coats of plasterboard sealer before tiling. Although if you can steam the wallpaper off without damaging the plasterboard, it might be sealed already. :confused:

I'd be slightly worried that someone used PVA to prime the plasterboard for papering. If it is painted under the paper, you'll have to hope that it was primed properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back